Replace/swap objects

Hello. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and if this question is very basic. I’m trying my best to learn.

Here is my problem: how do you replace (or swap) an object with another? Let’s say I have a small box that has to replace a big box and I want the X,Y,Z coordinates all to match. How is this accomplished?

For the life of me, I cannot figure this out! Again, I apologize if this is very basic but I cannot find anything online and anything specific to this in the manual.

Thank you! (For reference, I am using Rhino 7.19)

Hi Brian,
I’m not sure how a box with different dimensions could have the exact same coordinates, but you can line up the bottoms, tops, centers, etc, by using the Align tool, if that helps.

To be clear, if you want to swap places, let’s say by center points, then you can make copies of both parts and use Align, then delete the old parts, if that makes sense.

1 Like

D’oh! That didn’t even occur to me. That’s why I came here, you people are smart!

The main thing I am trying to do is swap parts in Rhino. Say I have a car model and I need to swap out the hood with a new and different one. What is the most efficient way of accomplishing that?

Thank you for taking the time to replay! I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi Brian - if your object is a block, you can redefine the small box block with a large box and it and any other instances will be updated. Also, ReplaceBlock will help.

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/usingblocks

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you Mr. Harris and Mr. Golay! I will try both of your suggestions.

I appreciate you taking the time to help! Thanks again.