Rendering indide the viewport

I use Octane Render which does not support rendering inside Rhino’s viewport. How I can bring the render view inside rhino’s viewport like Vray RT. Is it even possible? I only know Python and I’m new in Rhino. Please help!

This doesn’t sound like something you can do yourself but more as a wish to the developers of Octane: @paulphysicalc, @pkinnane.

I’m confused by the Grasshopper tag that you put in this topic, though.

Is there a way around this by a custom script? The reason is I am trying to render meshes in grasshopper but I’m only able to do it if it is displayed in Rhino’s viewport not an external render window. Can you help please?

If you ask me, that doesn’t sound possible. Then again, I am not the one to ask :wink:
@DavidRutten, what do you say?

Grasshopper provides its preview meshes to the RDK, so any renderer which uses the RDK to get the render meshes out of Rhino will automatically get the Grasshopper preview as well. I do not know if Octane uses the RDK.

These are examples of Grasshopper preview meshes that are rendered directly by the Rhino renderer. You’ll need Rhino6 WIP for this though as the feature was added after the last release of GH for Rhino5.

http://api.ning.com/files/dxx8iAX09VXxm8O5zon4MQXPateUTzPCpPgnpEbAaWxTIT7LcVa4oZLsrfJc1NwKAzWrS1RDUyYSwjJSNYdgddFyWJoP/cylinders.jpg

Since Grasshopper does not have a notion of materials, you’ll always get a diffuse white material, so even if Octane supports this, it may not be be useful to you. Mesh colours are included, but I do not know if Octane can handle per-vertex colours.

There are some GH plugins that pump meshes to VRay, but you may have to actually bake the geometry before you can render it the way you like.

1 Like

jaw just dropped. Where can I download rhino 6 WIP?

Wim - is it possible for a RhinoCommon plugin to acces the Rhino viewport? Can I have the plugin create a new viewport type (of OctaneRender) which is added to the Wireframe, Rendered, etc viewport types?

Thanks

Paul

@stevebaer (or basically anyone in McNeel) will be in a better position to answer that question, I’m afraid.

@paulphysicalc, This is what I have been working on for Rhino WIP with the integration of RhinoCycles. Its integration is done using RhinoCommon, it is certainly possible to create a rendering plugin using RhinoCommon, and have it register a display mode.

You should be able to this for Octane in Rhino WIP/6 as well.

/Nathan

1 Like

Would you please share some of your code or at least explain how we can achieve the same thing you’re doing with OctanRenderer using RhinoCommon. I really appreciate this.

I’ll try to boil down to the essential bits needed to create a C# renderer plugin with viewport rendering capabilities. Note that this is for Rhino WIP. I am still working on getting this part of the RhinoCommon stabilised - there might still come changes to the final API, but I think that we’re getting there.

Until I have that distilled down here are some things to look for in RhinoCommon for Rhino WIP:

• implement a ChangeQueue class (in Rhino.Render.ChangeQueue)
  • implement a Rhino.Render.DisplayMode class
  • register the display mode class with RhinoCommon, after this you should be able to create a display mode that references.

These are just a few pointers to look at, I’ll follow up with more elaborate info later.

Cheers,

/Nathan

Thanks Nathan - would it be possible for you to post here once the above changes to RhinoCommon WIP have stablised, and I will look to implement it for the Octane plugin.

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

@paulphysicalc, I can certainly do that. Either in here, or make sure there is a clear public post about that.

/Nathan

1 Like