Render material polish property

Hi,
when creating custom materials i´d like to have rough/polished value as you get with the metal material in Rhino.
i can not find a property like that. i tried “shine” but that does not seem to do anything.
how would i create something like the rhino metal materials myself? Is that an extra class i did not find?

If you use RenderMaterial to create a new material, then you can set the parameters "shine" and "polish-amount" to your wanted value (in the range [0.00,1.00]).

For a metal to be a metal with the custom rendermaterial you need to have diffuse color set to black and reflectivity to 1.

To check the names you should fiddle with you can save a material to file and open it in a text editor. I like to create a metal first, then convert it to custom, and save that out. Open up and look at the <parameters> section.

How are you currently creating your materials? (Code snippet please).

hi @nathanletwory
here is the code:

var custom = new Rhino.DocObjects.Material();
            custom.Reflectivity = 1;
            custom.ReflectionColor = System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(r[currIntOption], g[currIntOption], b[currIntOption]);
            custom.Transparency = fjMatTrans[currIntOption];
            custom.Shine = fjMatShine[currIntOption];
            custom.Name = matName[currIntOption];

custom.CommitChanges();

rm = RenderMaterial.CreateBasicMaterial(custom);

are “shine” and “polish-amount” two different properties?

There seems to be a difference between “Material” and “RenderMaterial” that i don’t get. Are they connected? Do i have to use both like i do in my code?

Rhino.DocObjects.Material is the old-style material. Rhino.Render.RenderMaterial is the new-style RDK material. I’d advise RenderMaterial over Material.

Here is a snippet in Python to create 10 metal materials with random roughness. Shine and Polish Amount are the inverse of roughness, so for a perfectly smooth metal you’d pass in 1.0 to both.

# Create 10 random metal-like materials
# using RenderMaterial

import Rhino
import System
import scriptcontext
import random

for i in range(0,10):
    m = Rhino.DocObjects.Material()
    m.Name = "Random Roughness Metal"

shine = random.random()

rm = Rhino.Render.RenderMaterial.CreateBasicMaterial(m)
    rm.BeginChange(Rhino.Render.RenderContent.ChangeContexts.Program)
    rm.SetParameter("diffuse", System.Drawing.Color.Black)
    rm.SetParameter("reflectivity", 1.0)
    rm.SetParameter("reflectivity-color", System.Drawing.Color.LightBlue)
    rm.SetParameter("shine", shine)
    rm.SetParameter("polish-amount", shine)
    rm.EndChange()

scriptcontext.doc.RenderMaterials.Add(rm)

A test run yields:

1 Like

hi @nathanletwory
thank you very much! this helps a lot!