So so close but there’s still a problem.
The picture shows a box beam that is capped with 2 plates. Typical of a parametric solids modeler where an assembly is made up of 3 parts with constraints applied. In this case it was created in Rhino and the caps are coincident with the ends of the tube. However, it’s still 3 distinct closed polysurfaces. I’d like a means to get rid of the inner surface and 2 end surfaces of the tube so that I could print a solid assembly. With your suggestion, picking the visible polysurfaces ends up including the interior. So I did a bunch of exploding/deleting/joining to try to exclude the tube ends and interior.
Problem#1 All of the endcap surfaces are visible therefore they are retained. The final “join” results in 2 endcap closed polysurfaces each comprised of 6 surfaces and 1 open polysurface for the tube comprised of 4 surfaces. It looks right but open polysurfaces don’t work in 3D printing software. I think a complicated trim might have helped.
Problem#2 The visible surfaces selection means visible within the dragged window. When exploded, this assembly has 22 surfaces. If I orient the assembly as below and drag a window, I end up selecting only 10 of the surfaces whereas I really needed to pick 16. I would be working with hundreds of surfaces so I could never be sure I used enough camera angles to get all of the visible surfaces.
- if “visible” equated to “outside” that might help
- it’s still complicated by the fact that the endcap surfaces touching the tube aren’t automatically trimmed. In the end they should look like this (box beam hidden):
so that joining (16 surfaces) produces 1 closed polysurface.
- when the final closed polysurface is saved as an stl, the 3D printer slices look like this
What I’ve done is a manual version of a shrinkwrap or watertight fit. Unfortunately it’s not workable for an assembly with anything more than a few, simple, prismatic, parts.
Still thinking …