Remaining issues/requests with Rhino (architecture students at University of Melbourne)

1. Is there a way to align portions of lines/planes/objects in a similar way to how whole objects can be aligned?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way for each gumball value to maintain its previous value independent of the values on the other axes?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way to easily select the control point of a line or plane that’s directly on an axis, and directly behind the scale handle?

Video explanation

1. As opposed to the command select small objects, is there a way to select objects within min/max specified dimensions (for individual axes) or volume of the object or bounding box?

Video explanation

1. Aside from using the shear command, or an external script, is there a way to view objects with axonometric projection (complementary to Isometric)?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way to view and copy the colour hex code from or between rhino and other programmes?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way to insert points at the centres or ends of multiple selected objects or parts of objects?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way to view when the previous modification to an object or layer occurred?
    This can be useful for knowing what or what not to delete.

Video explanation

1. Is there a command option in Purge to delete layers which are older than ____ in when they were last modified? (linked to timestamped layers)

Video explanation

1. Can a project’s state of isolation/unisolation be remembered when saving, closing and reopening? Currently, there seems to be some mix up if one saves/quits with objects isolated

Video explanation

1. Is there a bug when renaming lights in rendered view which causes Rhino to crash?

Video explanation

1. Can layers and sublayers be cut from one place and pasted in front, behind or into the target layer?

Video explanation

1. Is there a way to combine a clipping plane which is perpendicular to the perspective camera to create scalable (clipped plane) section/plan perspectives?

Video explanation

@jdelavaulx Have you tried to use the search function of discourse? Some/most of your questions can be answered by using Help
Your videos are very difficult to follow; unlikely to generate many responses.
Start here>

1. Is there a way to quickly make a perspective view perpendicular to the ground plane? This can be useful for output perspectives etc

Video explanation

Please stop! Nobody is going to answer all this in a single thread.

3 Likes

Hi Dale,
This was the method recommended by Michael Pryor. He told me to stop spamming with individual posts in the thread, and combine them as replys to an individual thread. I also took your advice to make them questions which could be answered.
This is not meant to spam. I thought that feedback would be appreciated from students who use the programme.
I’ve already spent about 60 hours collating these issues, what is the best way to communicate them without inadvertently being perceived as “spamming the forum”
Either way, that was the last issue. The devs are very welcome to ignore them, and continue with the excellent work they do. I apologise if this was not the most pretty way of dumping student feedback, but I didn’t know what was the best way to do so. I’m not sure if Mcneel is appreciative of feedback from students and a school which heavily rely on their software.
Regards

1 Like

Why not ask your course instructor, i.e “way of dumping student feedback?”

1 Like

Hi @jdelavaulx,

@Michael_Pryor is one of my favorites, but I’ll disagree with him on this. :wink:

This one is subtle, and is more about human psychology and common cognitive abilities. If you ask more than one question at a time, you’re lowering your chances of getting a good answer to any of them. Human beings are not good at multitasking. Make it easy for your questions to be answered by asking them one by one. Doing so will also avoid creating a messy and frustrating thread. Last but not least, your questions are going to be more searchable if they are isolated and stand on their own.

Also, don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. It’s the best way to learn. Just make sure you ask a question. All of your posts have consisted of a statement and refer to a video to reveal the substance. I think you will find more people reading and replying to your post of you just type up your question, as it’s quicker to scan a paragraph than sit around and watch a video.

Ask yourself: is there enough information for anybody who’s not you to figure out what the problem is?

Hope this helps,

– Dale

2 Likes

To be honest I thought it was going to be more like this kind of post. It wasn’t clear from the original statement type posts before.

Although I do prefer it this way (at least I think it’s more clear than before). But I can see why separated would be beneficial for you guys.