Recommendations on how to get started with Neural Networks in Grasshopper?

Hi,

I am learning and loving Grasshopper. Neural networks and machine learning is a really interesting capability, but being new to the topic, i am not sure where i should dive into.

What would be the most straightforward, well explained and documented, popular, plugin to start to learn and implement Neural networks? I have encountered several plugins, LunchBox, Crow, Owl … but i don’t know to which i should dedicate my time.

Would love to hear experiences and get links to helpful resources on this topic.

thanks!

2 Likes

Well … if you are after AI/NN and the likes the best advise is to start learning C# and bake your beans your way Otherwise you’ll be just a passive observer on things that would remain hidden for ever.

BTW: What has to do LunchBox with NN?

BTW: Tons of NN stuff available around. Like this old and rather classic:

BTW: A good book to start:

also:

Screen Shot 074

Screen Shot 075

also:

2 Likes

Thanks for the references.

I have been trying to decide what plugin that deals with NN in GH i should learn. LunchBox has some tools of that kind. At the moment I am not looking to have a deep understanding of NN just want to begin to experiment with them superficially to get a sense of how to work with them in GH, i don’t mind having the deep mechanics elude me. There are several plugins for GH and wanted some feedback as to which would be the most high level, well documented one, that i could jump in to easily.

You could implement Tensor Flow or even Echo State N. code via Python in Grasshopper and run the Sims.

Have fun! :wink:

You probably couldn’t directly though (with Rhino implementing IronPython)? I assume Tensor Flow uses e.g. C/C++ heavily on the backend, making it’s implementation in GHPython less than straightforward (though possible). Edit: If I recall, @MateuszZwierzycki managed to pull this off back in the day.

Currently digging with the same problem. Using those plug-ins won’t help you much.
I’m trying to implement accord.NET (seem like a good way to go) mostly because it’s on top of C#.
http://accord-framework.net/

Grasshopper1 does not support Machine learning well, it lacks data types, functions, flow types, and parallelization. In my opinion, the best plugin is Owl (wrapping accord.net) since it has added the tensor type allowing clear modelling and has some cool visualization components. However, it is highly limited, because accord.net is very limited, don’t expect to be able to use the latest techniques.

However, in my opinion, you can’t enter ML from scratch with a GH plugin, you simply won’t understand what you’re doing. ML is a paradigm shift in computing, it’s to move from modeling explicitly the solution to modeling systems that try to approach the solution, and like all paradigm shifts, it requires a cognitive shifts, to think in another framework. Then, first, you must learn how it works, you don’t need to try the algorithms by yourself, just learn the framework, then you can play knowing what you do with the libraries.

1 Like

Hi Anyone!, It is possible to wrap Tensorflow into C# so it can be use in GH?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tensorflow+C%23

1 Like