Raytraced Really Slowing My Computer on Simple Model - Is this Normal

Greetings,

Did this tutorial yesterday https://vimeo.com/49597954

It is a simple glass of water. There is only two elements - the glass and the water. Using the “Raytaced” mode really has a major impact on my puter (i7 7700k, 32GbRAM, GTX1060.6Gb, SSD etc) It’s so bad I cant scroll smoothly while browsing the net when its running. Also, if I try to enter a command at the Rhino cmd prompt, I have to wait a little for the letters to actually pop-up. It’s using the GPU.

Is this typical??

Also, the raytrace takes over 7 minutes to complete. Is this an expected time frame?? (I know nothing about rendering at all, so have no experience as to how long things should take (But it does feel like a long time to me). Perhaps the material makes a difference (it being transparent etc)

Further…right at the end of the video…during the tutors final comments, his raytrace is running and the image counts out to 25 secs - and the result is a way superior image to the one I see on my screen for the same time frame?? Why is that??

The video was posted 6 years ago - so there is no way their Hware should come close to a machine built today (unless it’s somehow offloaded to a render farm or network machine??)

So…what am i doing wrong. Perhaps its a setting in my setup that is causing this result??

Here is my system setup as per Rhino…I am using an expired evaluation version so can’t save the model for uploading. Thanks.

Rhino 6 SR8 2018-8-28 (Rhino 6, 6.8.18240.20051, Git hash:master @ d037927543424e8b3ce54e46b435866178a6349c)
Licence type: Evaluation, build 2018-08-28
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2018-10-06

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 417.22)

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
  Render version: 4.6
  Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
  Driver Date: 11-29-2018
  Driver Version: 25.21.14.1722
  Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
  Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp	"Commands"	6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit"	
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp	"Rhino Render"	
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp	"RDK_EtoUI"	6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit UI"	
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp	"Snapshots"	
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp	"RhinoCycles"	6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp	"Toolbars"	6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp	"3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"	
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp	"Displacement"

Published 6 years ago? That is pretty amazing, considering I did the very first proof-of-concept for integration of Cycles in 2013, and the first usable stuff was somewhere in 2014 and getting close to usable as viewport towards the end of 2014, begin 2015… I’m pretty sure @BrianJ did not record that video in 2012.

Note that @BrianJ is rendering to 150 samples, not to what you probably have: 1000 samples.

But there are several factors you have to take into account. If you are using the GTX 1060 also as your display adapter you’ll find laggy performance.

If you are on a 4K (or larger) monitor that will also affect the performance, more than quadruple so. But even with a FullHD screen doing a large viewport render will pummel your card good.

In the very least you should update to latest Rhino SR, currently we are on 6.11, and after coming Tuesday (barring any unforseen problems) we should be on 6.12.

@ Nathan ‘jesterKing’ Letwory - thanks for the input.

As for the 6 years - Vimeo states the video was uploaded “Monday, September 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM EST” However, on further examination…further down the page is does say it was updated Feb 2018.

If you are using the GTX 1060 also as your display adapter you’ll find laggy performance. >

Can you please explain this further. When I built my machine, the GTX 1060 was supposedly a good card for Rhino. Has something changed?

My screen is HD (1080)

…is rendering to 150 samples>

I’ll see if I can find this.

Not trying to knock Rhino here, just trying to understand what is happening as I’m looking at purchasing. I don’t know a lot about this type of stuff either, just trying to get my head around the whole learning curve. Appreciate the help.

Sure, always good to ask.

It still should be an OK card. Nothing has changed in that respect. I have a GTX 1060 in my dev machine too.

What I meant is that Cycles takes up as much GPU power as possible. When the GPU used for Raytraced/Cycles is also the main display adapter you’ll see that the OS is struggling to get some drawing time as well. For simple scenes (diffuse-type materials) there should be no huge affect, but once you start adding transparent and reflective materials (glass, gem, metal), you may see bigger impact, as those make scenes heavier. You may want to consider using Raytraced in a smaller VP - not one that is maximized.

@RhinoWannaB Could you attach the file you created so I can have a further look as to what could be the cause for your slowdown?

As said, upgrading to the upcoming 6SR12 on Tuesday/Wednesday is something you should consider as well - the underlying Cycles engine was upgraded with many improvements, and parts were compiled with newer toolkit, all bringing in some performance increase.

Correct, I updated the video in Feb. 2018… mentioned in the notes. The first version I made used Neon which isn’t available for Rhino 6. The Raytraced set up is easier for lighting though and can use Cuda for greater speed.

Is it possible (allowed) to upgrade an expired eval version? Or can he update it subject to the fact that it will still be “expired” and subject to the same no-save restriction?

@ Nathan ‘jesterKing’ Letwory…

Could you attach the file you created so I can have a further look as to what could be the cause for your slowdown?>

The actual file was created in an expired trial version so couldn’t be saved. I did have the same tutorial file saved from my trial last year. I found the setting for the number of samples and once I dialed that down to 150 samples I was seeing a similar result as per Brian’s video. It was taking 22 secs to Raytrace and the image result was quite good (some noise, but to be expected (I guess). I did discover that the size of the viewport makes a difference and making it smaller decreased the time - and I see that you stated this in your reply. I suspected transparent materials would have an impact.

Even so, the “Raytraced” process sure makes my machine grunt - but looking at the output under Task Manager it shows approx 20% use of the CPU and only 23% use of the GPU. Nothing else is really using any resources. I have changed the samples back to 1000 and the same % still apply - and yet my machine is sluggish (browser scrolling is stepping instead of smooth scroll). No other software I have makes my machine grunt like this (including heavy video work and massive image manipulation). I don’t know enough about these types of things to know how much of an impact these would have. I do know that so far “RayTraced” is hard on it :slight_smile: Don’t like to think what impact a serious model would have of system resources. :roll_eyes:

I have to assume the default settings for Raytraced are optimal. Is there one setting that would make the impact less?? I guess if I consider this, its the materials that make the difference. I’ll have to have a play with different materials on the drinking glass to see the result.

Really appreciate the input…and the comments about the GTX1060. It all helps. :wink:

Here is the original file that I’m now using to test.

DrinkingGlass.3dm (107.0 KB)

To get a more correct view of the GPU usage you should not be using the task manager, but something like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburn. The task manager only shows what the GUI drawing uses. You should see much higher GPU utilization with the proper tools to look.

As said, using Raytraced means all GPU is used as much as possible.There is no throttling really. Since Raytraced is hogging your GPU the OS and other software are feeling that. You as a user see that as sluggish reaction. The amount of passes doesn’t make a difference there other than the duration of that hogging.

To keep a fluent OS experience during an active Raytraced session the best you can do is to add another GPU. One GPU you’d use for displaying everything, the other for the Raytracing… But I understand if such a thing is out of budget.

@ Nathan ‘jesterKing’ Letwory - thanks Nathan for the insight. It has really helped me to understand what is happening (as I have no experience whatsoever of the rendering process as I never bothered during the trial as I was busy modelling :slight_smile: ).

Another GPU would be a good idea and something I may look at in the future. If I start getting the results with 3D modeling that I’d like in my mind ( the mind is easily deluded :rofl:) and I start getting seriously into rendering, a second machine might also be something I might look at (Something that can just chug along in the background).

Now my focus is to get Rhino, and concentrate on learning how to model. This has been an eye-opening experience and has allowed me to adjust my expectations.

I’ll check out the s/ware you mentioned. Really appreciate the help and your knowledge. I’ve got so much to learn it’s daunting, but it keeps me out of mischief (and focused) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers.