Random Symbol Generation

Hello all,

I’m trying to develop a grasshopper script that will generate random symmetrical symbols all within the constraint of a circle.

Attached are some examples of symbols I have created in grasshopper that are in the vein of what I want to create.

Capture Capture2

The symbols pictured in the array are organized such that the computer calculates every one of them. One way I was thinking of generating these is by creating an array and then using their positions to add variation to the script. Now that I have them them working working in the array, I’m not quite sure how to add the variation effectively.

Could anyone help me understand how I can generate a number of these symbols in a straightforward and effective way?

Thanks!

https://www.food4rhino.com/app/sortalgi-shape-grammar-interpreter. Check this out. What you are looking for is called “Shape grammer”

1 Like

Thanks! That looks very promising. I’ll check it out and see if I can get it to do what I need!

Not sure if shape grammar is exactly what I need. Ideally I need to make a few thousand of these symbols and the shape grammar plugin seems to be pretty manual in terms of how you choose to iterate the process. I think colibri/anemone seem more promising for this task.

In the case of colibri, I’m able to record data but once it’s recorded is there any way to bake all of the iterations? I have all the iterations in a tree but I’m not sure what to do with it at this point.

Any help getting these iterations baked would be very much appreciated

Hello,

I think @Shridhar_Mamidalaa meant that the concept of shape grammar will be very useful to you, not necessarily that specific plugin.

I wasn’t aware of the concept but it looks interesting!

Ah I see. Thanks. Yes it looks like it’s in the vein of what I need to do. I’m just trying to generate thousands of symbols if possible.