Radiused bend in sheet solid what command?

Hi,
V5
Imagine two 1mm thick solid sheets joined with boolean union at one edge forming a simple L shaped bent sheet (supposed to represent metal). (see attached)

Rhino cant do metal sheet bending as TurboCAD can, we need to form the bend.

I wish to create a radiused realistic bend, tried chamfer but get only one surface, I wish to see the sharp non realistic metal L bend become e.g. 2mm radiused

How is this best done on a solid ?

3dm attached of before and hoped for result.
1mm sheet bend.3dm (89.2 KB)

Cheers,

Steve

Typically the way to do things like this in Rhino is:

1. Model either the inside or outside surface of your object (pick whichever makes the job easier)
  2. Fillet the transitions between your flanges and faces.
  3. Offset the resulting polysurface by the thickness of your sheet metal.

See attached

-Sky1mm sheet bend_fixed.3dm (137.2 KB)

Hi,
Thanks,
That would be FilletSrf 2mm then OffsetSrf 1mm to get your result, correct me if I am wrong.

So no command that puts a bend in as such into a solid, construct the bend from surfaces is the order of the day.

Is it that its not possible to code such a command, never sure why TurboCAD differs to Rhino in this respect.

Its ok for simple things but when twists etc are called for its hard on the brain cells working out where the twist goes when precoded physics of e.g. metal would yield the correct twist, take a 1mm aluminium sheet and twist it at middle and then try and construct the twist, TurboCAD does it just like that, but rhino user has to think more about where twist goes etc.

Steve

Correct - that’s the right workflow for Rhino, in my experience. [quote=“Steve1, post:3, topic:29187”]

So no command that puts a bend in as such into a solid, construct the bend from surfaces is the order of the day.
[/quote]

Nope, not in the way you’re thinking.

TurboCAD is doing this type of work as a solid modeler, with some sort of sheet metal intelligence added on to it. Rhino is a freeform NURBS modeler, so you’ll have to “explicitly” model this stuff in Rhino, whereas in more of a solid/mechanical modeler it is indeed more straightforward to do sheet metal work. You can get to the same result using Rhino, but it should be noted in case it’s not obvious, that the way that Rhino and the way that TurboCAD get to that solution are by two completely different technologies and routes. I will freely admit that Rhino is not as good at this type of work - especially if you want to do lots of version of a similar part. If the majority of my work was sheet metal bending, I would not be using Rhino, as it’s just not the best tool for the job.

I actually think this is an instance where Rhino has the advantage - if you have some free-form style twist in a strip of sheet metal, I frankly think that’s easier to model in Rhino than a solid modeler like TurboCAD, and you’ll have more control over the shape. Rhino has more and better tools to achieve this kind of thing than the solid modelers I’ve played around with.

-Sky

Hi Steve

Here is how I would do that:

1mm sheet bend B.3dm (228.3 KB)

1. MergeAllFaces
  2. FilletEdge - inner edge
  3. FilletEdge - outer edge

HTH, cheers

Hi,

Thanks Emilio, I like both ways, yours and Skyg. Yours would be better where offsetSrf sees a surface go not quite where one wants it to, as can happen , e.g if a deformed metal sheet then has a hole drilled, offsetSrf would have that hole with non parallel sides if hole created before the command…or if a cylinder has splayed end and a planar end area, offsetSrf puts the second surface beyond or within planar depending on direction chosen.

Thanks Skyg, I find myself doing metal bending from time to time and wonder if Rhino was best for this, especially having asked beforehand what prog was best for me when indicating such needs, I also find Rhino intuitive and the forum is second to none on help, if anyone asks me what prog to get the forum is a key component.

I bought TurboCAD at a special reduced price with support via phone/email a while ago so that I could try it for the bends, and Rhino for everything Rhino is best at. I hit a hurdle immediately when TurboCAD wouldnt show the lettered points of an imported Rhino file, answer was to select the points then alter lettering properties, but without being able to find them …how ! I replied with this dilemma and never got an answer. Whole process took a week, so not a good start.
Also the 4 window viewport of Rhino wasnt there and that was really unsettling as to how to view the object, guess I shall need to have a good stab at it with a day to get into it, not in a hurry as I was.

TurboCAD for Rhino users would be a good guide, if I could find one, showing the differences. I hope commands have same names, thats a start, nothing worse than different names in progs for same command.

Steve

A mate of mine worked out all his bend reductions and detail in Rhino for a long time then bit the bullet and works with Space Claim now. It seems like a seamless integration… I’m quite envious, the way in which he can fillet things and swap between programs is sickening when you have to do it all by hand in Rhino :confused:

But, you get what you pay for, it’s not cheap.

Personally I like ViaCAD for a cheap solid modeler to work with Rhino. Powerful filleting and push / pull. $250 USD if you want Pro with some surfacing options or $100 USD for their mostly solid modeler. I like the software a lot.

Hi,

looks useful, play video down page at http://www.punchcad.com/p-26-viacad-pro-v9.aspx

Can rhino do it this quick ? Everything looks slick in a promo, how intuitive is this, it can do bends, but lacking any human support it seems as per one reviewer is worrying. Could it replace Rhino for some folk or just be of use for where Rhino lacks the same features. Taking files in and out between Rhino and ViaCAD each time a metal bend is called for, one would try and continue within ViaCAD, but then, having added layers and objects etc, will Rhino support the changes, layers, etc when file is opened again in Rhino ?

Steve

I suggest you try the trial and decide for yourself. They seem to work well sending files back and fourth. It should keep all your layers. It is the ACIS kernel like spaceclaim. So when sending files from Rhino to ViaCAD I suggest you send the .SAT format. From ViaCAD to Rhino use step or iges.