Quicky Delete&Trim Tool/Command?

Randy, all you comment and ask has been talked about prior. if there is no understanding or lets say no need for a simpler tool no need to convince me, i work with those tools the same as everybody else i believe, always hunting for a better more comfortable and in a therefor resulting more sufficient way.

i am not a total beginner, not knowing how the split command tools works, or how to select and delete. pls read the posts prior carefully. i am sure not asking for something which makes working more complicated.

I have read & reread the OP and I still am not sure what you are asking for in terms of a simpler tool. Your first sentence seems to want a tool, I will call it Delete for now, that once activated deletes all objects you select, hence deemed not needed.

From my understanding you want to click or hit keyCombo to start a tool, then select objects and they are deleted as you select them.

How is this different from selects objects you want deleted and then hitting the delete key? Seems like the same thing but in a different order.

This is your original subject line & post. Not mentioning trim yet!

if you want to delete many objects, you have the well known option to shift click all objects you want to delete and hit delete. ok thats handy for a few objects and ok for this.

but lets say you have a multitude of lines points objects lingering around your plan or your project and clicking all hitting the shift key each time you want to add a selection or even hitting the delete button repeatedly if a selection gets more complex, is painful rather than having a tool which just clicks delete.

such a tool would spare you a complicated cross selection and multiple times of pressing delete or the shift button or even holding the shift button.

a selection paint would make that a bit easier thats true but such a tool combined with the other suggestions and with trim and you have something to clean up fast and comfortable.

and i must add you can very well make a huge selection mask which you want to delete in one go, even with a selection paint but you still have to hit delete after that and its not very comfortable to be bothered with a huge mask first till you collect everything rather than clicking it all away as it comes.

It seems to me that Mitch did this with his script that you just add to a button / Icon.

This does what you are asking.

I am just clarifying that what you are asking for in your OP has been answered and I might make it into an alias because it does seem useful, thanks.

It helps when the idea is communicated well at the start, less confusion down the road. Best!

Well here it is done ā€¦

:slight_smile:

yes i would also believe so

but as written before making a script can be helpful for a couple of people who want to mess with it. i most certainly want to try it out, but i believe many could profit from such a tool, even more when it comes with the package and has no need for extra installation on each computer you ever encounter rhino to work on.

and still the script is missing the trim combo so even though helpful not fulfilling in those 2 matters.

yes i try to keep explanations lean, to be free of misunderstandings, in my opinion it would suffice, if people would not constantly rush into it without reflecting it firstā€¦ ok maybe arrogant to say, but long explanations anyway will come for those who didnt reflect the idea yet, posting a long explanation at the beginning can also be confusing as i have experienced that many times since it blurs itself from the core idea.

That is why there are plugins from other people. I think scripts are great for the people that need them. I donā€™t need all the tools. I would love to have some special jewellery tools in Rhino instead of having to buy RhinoGold, but they are not very useful to boat builders or architects .

Like I said earlier, I keep all my lines on a layer, other lines on another layer. Item to be used as booleans on another etc etc. So then all I do is delete those layers, no need to select objects and then hit delete.

The subject only mentioned ā€œDelete Tool/Command?ā€, asking for the Trim option only came later in the discussion.

And ā€¦ [quote=ā€œHelvetosaur, post:8, topic:38556ā€]
combining Trim with Delete in the same command, I donā€™t think so
[/quote]

Cheers!

yes indeed but i am talking about a very basic tool here.

that also depends on what you construct, or what you draw and that does not make a difference in how you work on what you have on your screen.

i was thinking about renaming the title, but the idea was actually there right from the start. maybe i still do but i thought it may confuse additionally, anyway it would be a very useful enhancement.

but to me it seems that this has not gained any response so farā€¦ maybe its needs time.
i certainly could do with some more cheer up words from @wim at this point :wink:

Actually it does. I set up operate layers for guides at Top, Front & Right. If i have the layer turned on or off it effects what is on screen. When I start to build in 3D I may only use one or a combination of layer curves to construct from. I remember when Photoshop didnā€™t have layers, I love layers and i name them too.

Then it should be thought out and described in very basic words. The art of communicating is very important, especially when discussing ideas with just words. I work on a team and we discuss ideas everyday and we have worked together for years. It is very rarely that we donā€™t have to sketch things out to explain a concept. Learning to communicate is something we discuss everyday, so time is not wasted on trying to describe something.

Probably what you are describing we already have in one version or another. Trim deletes the unwanted portion you click on, so that is already there. Mitch gave a script for click and delete . So is the selection of the objects to delete or trim, that needs work? You can run the select tools win the middle of a running command, so you can pick all open polysurfaces if you want then all points, so selection tools are there. What exactly is missing?

I am just curious now. I have actually read through this thread a few times before commenting, i am still not sure what you are wanting. Donā€™t use other software as an example, because not everyone has used that software, so that is not helping your cause. If you can give a model or some screenshots that show what you are after, that helps.

Faux Friday here, Cheers!

1 Like

i am not talking about the basic concept of layers now. i believe that should be clear. it seems you to just read what you have in your own mind.

yes absolutely, communication is very important, and that only works when all sides also read along what the people actually mean. there is always miscommunication happening and you are not an exception to this as i have figured earlier these days :smiley: to me you are something like a parade example for not reading what is written spinning up the wheel without knowing where its heading, while lecturing others how they have to work on how they communicate. there is always a better way of communicating but lets get there together.

and lets not waist the patience of others who may read this for personell quarrels about who is communicating wrong or right pls. thats not where i want to go to.

Tja, you ask, thus I shall give.

Rudi beat me to that quote but anyhow. . .
Iā€™ve been using Rhino since 1997 and have read a fair share of the discussions since then but as far as I recall this is the first time this had come up. Then again, I havenā€™t checked YouTrack for this issue (and Iā€™ve been wrong before). But go for it - place it on the pile and who knows - one sunny day. . .

Exactly, my apologies. i have been known to not get what others are describing. This is not a quarrel, i just donā€™t get what you are asking for, hence how it will better what we already have. I have seen a lot of discussion about removing tools in V6.

As Wim says [quote=ā€œwim, post:30, topic:38556ā€]
go for it - place it on the pile and who knows - one sunny day. . .
[/quote]

You never know if you donā€™t ask, Right! :sunglasses:

hi old friend :smiley: thanks for peeping in again, well yes i would love to put that on a pile, but on how many piles shall i place it? i thought i had addressed a few people from the staff here, nobody answered, thus its not important. the whole fred for nuttn. plus i am not that deep into the system here to put things on several piles, i am trying my best to help because i like rhino thats it. maybe i should get into that my or your track, i have seen it doing some magic in front of my nose recently no idea what that was for but i will try to see into it.

and then yes maybe as you say one sunny dayā€¦

along with that you are really trying to be helpful, thats the impression i have gotten.
maybe thats just me, some coincidences with us, maybe we should head out for a couple of beers then.

what else shall i say, its explained plentiful in a multitude of different ways all over the thread
and is being displayed best at the initial request.

YouTrack is really the only pile that matters.

then there are many people out there not knowing about it while requesting black holes into the nirvana of this forum. but i will have a look at it, thanks for pointing it out.

OK, no more info, cheers Supper cooking beer!

oh and who talked about swiss knifes before :wink:
so then cheers!

@RichardZ - making both trim and delete work at the same time might be possible, but it would be more work - hereā€™s a Python that does the Trim part - perhaps as you are envisioning it, maybe?

! _-RunPythonScript (

import scriptcontext as sc
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

Ids = rs.NormalObjects()
rs.EnableRedraw(False)
rs.SelectObjects(Ids)
for Id in Ids:
    obj = sc.doc.Objects.Find(Id)
    obj.Highlight(False)

rs.EnableRedraw(True)
rs.Command ("_Trim")
rs.UnselectAllObjects()
)

-Pascal

trying it, and from this little test works like he describes ā€¦

Once you run the command, just click ā€¦

Ā«Randy

very nice Pascal thanks, that works exactly as i had thought. i wonder why the trim function is not implemented like that as a basic, why the need for selecting splitting or trimming objects at all? that could be so much smoother to use like that. well ok i see sense in selecting specific objects to trim either but for different situations.

now if this could be combined with the fancy delete on click function from @Helvetosaur and later even with the paint select tool that would be a real joy tool. maybe this could find its way into a Vanilla?

Doesnā€™t the object just delete when clicked for you? It works for me like his script. What I click is trimmed & deleted.

Well today I was doing some very organic shapes that were NURBS converted from T-Splines and some surfaces would delete the whole surface and not the section I thought from the cutting surfaces highlights. I had to go back and duplicate some edges and extend curve on surface to get my trim.

This tool doesnā€™t give you the highlighted edges like when you run basic trim command. Also there is the undo ability if the trim doesnā€™t go as you want. These are features of the Trim command that are not mentioned.

If you donā€™t have very well defined objects and intersections, things can get messy ā€¦ quickly. Then all that need for speed goes to crawl mode.