Query object layer in a block

It would be great if individual objects in blocks could selected and queried - to find out which layer they are on. An equivalent of autocad’s xlist command.

Hi Daniel,
This is already on the pile of Rhino wishes:
RH-10319 Sub object selection desired for blocks

Essentially, users have requested to be able to Shift + Control + Pick on an object in a block.
Then look at the Object Properties panel where the Layer, Color, Render material and additional object properties are displayed.

I will add a note about your interest in this feature, a well.
Thanks for letting us know.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Perfect, thank you. That would be a game-changing feature. Is there any way to tell when Rhino would ship with it?

Hi Daniel - in the meantime, BlockEdit will allow you to dig into a block and query (and change) the objects’ layers etc.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
BlockEdit is an option, but I believe that you already have used this.

A lot of users again, do not want to double click into the block editor, but just want to use Sub object selection (outside of BlockEdit) for details about objects in block.

We do not know when.
However, when it is in Rhino and has been tested, we will post here in this thread.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

1 Like

Thanks again for confirming. Could you post a link to this issue on youtrack by any chance? I couldn’t seem to find it.

It seems to have a relatively small number, so I assume that it’s an old issue - is there a way to vote for it or set a “bounty” for it?

That’s correct, and also it only works for .3dm files.

No. It is on the list. We will watch for others that “chime in”.

Other than that, you can learn to write your own tools with python or c#.
Get started here. It is a leap, but worth it.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier

No problem, I will take a look. I was worried though that this requires functionality not exposed in Rhino API? Is modifying block types or creating a new “partial block” object possible, perhaps in your C++ toolkit?