Push/pull behaviour

There are 3 features in Sketchup that I find useful:

• Good graphic render styles
  • Perspective match tool
  • Cutting edges by just drawing on a face, then this Push/Pull thing - genius!

The rest is not worth mentioning… (it’s a mesh modeler after all)

If McNeel went for the Sketchup crowd, it would be awesome!

1 Like

added to this ticket-

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-62638

1 Like

i think rhino has got good matching that you only click points on 2d picture and corresponding points in your 3d model then it automatically matches although i havent tried manytimes.

sketchups push pull revolutionized whole industry with so many structures affected directly by modelling software, i call it sketchup architecture style :smiley:

i am suggesting to put this skp like behaviour under one command which would turn rhino into into somewhat sketchup where faces would be split automatically with any curves drawed and planar regions would be detected and closed with planar surface. push pull with gumball would work but differently as this post proposes

Well, the following may sound like heresy, but here goes anyway…

My feeling is that what you want will never be able to be fully addressed by Rhino’s NURBS geometry library, because it’s really not intended for this kind of use. Does that mean it’s impossible? Maybe not, but it will still come back to how much development time and cost needs to be put into it versus the projected market/return.

People (a certain group anyway) have been clamoring for SubD’s for many years now because Rhino’s NURBS doesn’t address that way of working either. Rather than try and adapt something that is not readily adaptable, they invented a completely new type of object with its associated math, workflow and GUI. It’s a completely new kind of object, separate from NURBS - and you need to stay within its framework to take advantage of all the tools - then you can convert back into NURBS when you need.

What does this have to do with push-pull ‘Sketchup’ modeling? Everything IMO. Remember Sketchup is basically a special kind of mesh modeler. There are things you can do with mesh structures that you can’t with NURBS. But not necessarily with Rhino’s existing mesh objects/tools, they are not designed that way. What we then need is another new type of object to be developed - mesh based to be sure, but so that it can be manipulated like a Sketchup mesh can. This object would be separate from NURBS, separate from Mesh, and separate from SubD. So you could model away in “push-pull” mode, then when you’re done, convert it into NURBS or normal meshes - if you need to combine it with other NURBS or mesh objects. If it stays all planar, maybe even able to do a bidirectional conversion.

Anyway, that’s just my idea (late night to be sure). The main problem is as I stated before, development time/cost. Look at how much has gone into SubD’s. Is the market there for a push-pull module? Will it really advance Rhino? I have no idea.

By the way - since we have Rhino.Inside that can run in other programs, what about Sketchup.Inside that can run in Rhino?

I dont think what i suggest necessarily requires another geometry object type. It might be far simpler, partially achievable with current commands. The actual problem is that gumball extrusions not always result in expected geometry which is the trouble. Nurbs works well with planar geometry.

Rhino does what it should in cases when you split a face and extrude it outwards with gumball. Or when you extrude inwards. Cases when push should behave like boolean difference are not treated well.

1. Split face of a solid (easily done by splitface command)

2. Pull outwards - SUCCSESFUL

3. Push inwards - SUCCSESFUL

4. Push inwards in special case - FAIL

Robust solution to this problem is that extrusions triggered by gumball should result as boolean subtraction/addition on the solid.

Perfect sketchup-like workflow would then be: turn on “sketchup mode” with the command which would combine automatic splitfaces when closed region made of curves occurs on a face and closed regions made up from curves would automatically be converted into planar surfaces + push pulls on the geometry would act as extrusions or in case of pushing backwards as boolean subtraction.

It is only combinations of what Rhino already offers but put together well. Besides automatic recognition of closed regions and automatic face splitting when region is “cut” by curves drawn it comes down just to change of gumball extrusions behaviour. (as is submitted under RH-62638)

Thank you that you took time and wrote your opinion. If it was that big of effort it is definately questionable to think about it but if it was much easier and could be a huge lure for skp users crowd it would be worth it.

That’s just one use case. Unfortunately if we remain in NURBS, it’s just far too easy to break. See this discussion from post #212 on…

I am going to have a look. Skp mode would be of course meant only for strictly planar geometry otherwise it doesnt make sense since all sketchup is just planar but its very efficient when you design a kitchen for example, thats when i rather opt for sketchup but i really would like to stay inside rhino all the time :smiley:

Check this

https://www.food4rhino.com/app/suwork

4 Likes

i feel embarrassed i am talking about something which actually exists already :smiley:

ok i think i am not that embarrassed because its quite a hot news

@theoutside
have a look at this new plugin it seems to achieve what we are talking about only better push pull is missing but since you have submitted it to jetbrains we might be very close to the nirvana.

1 Like

cool!

OK, that’s interesting, I wasn’t aware of that plug-in. Hopefully it can satisfy the needs expressed and continue to be developed and supported!

2 Likes

Hello!
Has anybody managed to actually extrude faces with this SUwork tool, like in the video? It has SUpencil, SUrectangle and SUblocksunique, but no Push/Pull (yet).
Cheers
Eugen

Did you read the description?

Ah, so it doesn’t really add tools to do full push-pull modeling then anyway. You can do what you show with normal Rhino SplitFace and ExtrudeSrf, don’t need a plug-in. But you can’t do the push-pull with the Gumball for example.

You can add a button

with normal Rhino SplitFace

It need many steps: set cplane, draw curve, split face (curves) …

i understand this plugin is still WIP ?

MakeHole works for scenario 4.

That what the developer said: more commands are WIP … …

True, it’s like a small script or macro to streamline splitting a face - but once the face is split, it does not actually add the capability that people are asking for for manipulating the split face by pushing/pulling.