Please remove the thought police from the forum

What a bunch of bullshit, why are you closing my thread? don’t you have the guts to read the post and answer it. This is a real drag I don’t agree with this at all what. Your limitiations are just bullying.

Continuing the discussion from Please redisgn some of this forum:

Hi Roland,

Sorry, it didn’t turn out the way I expected. You (and another person) asked the same question that was already ongoing in another topic. First I replied, then I merged your topic into the other. Unfortunately, it’s not clear from what I did that that’s what happened.

My original answer to your question got moved to the other thread, and now your source thread got confused.

I’m trying to clean it up now (the merge feature didn’t work like I expected - I wasn’t trying to stifle your conversation).

Here’s my original reply:
This conversation is ongoing in this thread:

@brian what’s with you removing my post it was not mean spirited and it was constructive.

I think Brian tried to use the tool to merge two topics into one.

Yep, I know - it was just already happening in another thread.

Sorry - I wasn’t trying to take you out or judge your topic, and the Discourse tool to merge threads made a mess of things. I wanted to see how it worked, and I learned: not very well!

Brian, Steve, I don’t think this should happen anyway, moving posts around. What’s so bad about having a couple of topics discussing basically the same things? We had this all the time on the NG.

I think admins should just interact, move or delete posts if its REALLY necessary, when there is a busy spammer or someone misbehaves seriously. For the rest just keep things like they are. We’re all grown-up’s.

I you really think, for whatever reason, that a cleanup is necessary then announce it in advance and let people know why you think you should merge or move something and what you’re planning to do.

thx, Tobias

Yeah, I basically agree. I figured that Discourse would have made obvious what I did, so that I wouldn’t have to add a bunch of dialogue telling about it. It didn’t do that, and I learned.

I do think that having multiple discussions on the same topic is a waste of everybody’s time, though, and directing people to the main topic where much has been said is worth doing.

I very much disagree. Just let people decide on their own if they want to waste their time… we dont need no help for that!!

If you don’t feel like answering the same questions in a zillion topics then just don’t do it.

So please, just stop closing topics, will you?

thx, Tobias

Brian has gone power crazy :wink:. We’re just testing out some of the features to see what they do. This was an accident that Brian already stated he didn’t like the results.

Probably the best thing to do is instead of doing any sort of merge/close/management/whatever, just post that there is a similar discussion happening over at “X” location

2 Likes

Exactly!!

You get a heart from me for that…

1 Like