Planarization query

I’m trying to build planarization for a convex shell. However, the YouTube video that I’m referring to uses old Kangaroo version. I’m using Kangaroo 2.42 version in Rhino 6. The old Kangaroo uses planarize component uses vertices parameter. However, the latest version uses mesh parameter. What should I do to make an effective planarization of a convex shell?

Planar honeycomb shells with kangaroo.gh (31.1 KB)

Check this one

I am getting broken paneling. I ran the script as it is. I didn’t do anything to it.

I have following two questions

1. The shared script works on a predecided flat grid on the ground, how can I use its paneling system for an already lofted/curved surface as posted in the original query?

2. What I have seen so far that robots have to be used in order to construct it on site. What is a smart way to build such shells made of panels in reality on a smaller scale (let’s say a size of 300mm by 300mm scale model) without having any robots? How would individual angles of joints be worked out?

@DanielPiker I request you to have a look at this.

1 Like

It’s specifically because you did not do anything with it that some panels are missing. You just have to increase the Planarity strength with the slider on the left (“start low and increase at the end”, as commented by Daniel).

Have a look at this: Photos from VDA workshop

1 Like

Thanks for sharing an example. The work really looks interesting. I am still unable to understand how did they manage to deal with angles for -on site assembly.

Okay, that worked. I increased the slighter to get the missing members.

Okay. I have attempted again. Though I’m not sure whether I"m doing it wrong or right as the boundary surface fails to create panels. It only creates 3-4 panels on the edge as seen in the screenshot. The yellow shaded one is the planarized grid.

Moreover, some hexagons get really distorted to become quadrilaterals.

Planar honeycomb shells with kangaroo_second attempt.gh (36.7 KB)

You could anchor the vertices at the boundary condition so that the adjacent hexagons don’t get that much distorded

1 Like

Okay, and what about the kangaroo output not getting converted to surfaces in the boundary surface component?

HexPlanar_help.gh (39.1 KB)
Slide up the highlighted slider to make the faces planar.
I also fixed your surface output

5 Likes

Thank you. That worked.