Pillows And Duvet/Bed Covers - Plug Ins?

Hi There,

I would like to know how to model pillows as well as a duvet cover or bed cover. I did some draping but I am not getting the desired result. If I need a plug in what should I use or if I can do it just using Rhino how do I go about it. I would like to get a relatively puffy finish with some creasing (hills) not folds.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

maybe u can post some pic first so we know what kind of pillow u want to model exactly?

1 Like

https://bollandbranch.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/dej6xil9vjwxmdzxo0ugiqql1fvfprrudnlhopnwemmgrovhlpuvhxnn1srs6i_f6b7ljdyyegj0lj5t9pzku8.jpg?w=660

That is more or less what I am looking for. Any help would be great.

1 Like

Not a plug-in, but you should have a look at Marvelous Designer
It should be no problem to get the results into Rhino as meshes (which I assume for pillows/bedlinen will be just fine).

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

Thank you I have looked at marvelous designer. It is a good program to work with fabrics. I am working through the advanced tutorials for Rhino so I am slowly but surely improving with my modeling.

It is still a bit confusing as I do a lot of my designs still based on step by step illustrations. I will keep playing around and post if I completed the bedding to my liking. Thanks for the advice so far.

If anyone else has anything of value to add please do so.

Thanks,
Roelof

a little info for u,=

if u wanna do it in Rhino, the easiest way is to use plug in called Grasshopper.
there is a physic solver called Kangaroo in Grasshopper
take a look at Kangaroo in this link Kangaroo - Grasshopper

the trick is to rely on Physic solver to create the wrinkles.

I wont go into details, but basically the concept is to first set up a Plane with high subdivision (mesh 80x80) put it over the bed object.

tell Kangaroo to treat it as Spring object.
the rest (Bed and other objects) assigned as “collider” ( it doesnt move but interact with your spring object ).
Gravity direction should be correct and Run the simulation.

stop the simulation once u think u like the result. and for the next step, u will need to add another set up, which is a stick or any long object (simple geometry ) that u can rotate and move around.

the stick should have vertices assigned as attractor object. run the simulation and move the stick around to create extra wrinkle on your spring. repeat the step until u got the result u want.

for some reason, Kangaroo runs painfully slow on dense mesh. u can use any other software with physic solver, the concept is still the same.

for the details on how to set up kangaroo component, u can consult to grasshopper forum on http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

for how to model pillow, you can use the same trick.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Hi Runnie,

Thank you so much, I actually downloaded grasshopper in the week and will play with the kangaroo function.

Once again thank you so much the above seems perfect for what I want to do. I appreciate your effort.

Here is the one I did using the loft function and then draping over it.

The material effect looks a lot better with the kangaroo component.

3 Likes

easy stitching with piped linetypes: https://vimeo.com/88067962

1 Like

You can also try Blender, it’s free!

1 Like