Pickable control polygon

In the latest WIP it’s possible to enable selecting control points by clicking the control polygon. The setting is at Tools->Options->Mouse->Make control polygon pickable.
When enabled, single clicking a curve or surface control polygon chord selects the two control points at the ends of the chord. Double click selects the whole row of points.
Please give it a try and let us know what you think.

8 Likes

This great…

How does the double click work? Do I need to click once first?

Hi Bob - Double-click should work directly. Click-click on the control polygon segment.

-Pascal

I like this a lot. Thank you Mikko.

I wonder if further functionality could be added by pressing the up/down arrows to progress/regress the selection down the control polygon? That would be the icing on the cake!

Regards,

Rob.

It’s technically not a double click. It’s two consecutive clicks or somewhat slow double click. I find it very useful as we work with a lot of 2D part drawings.

Why isn’t this on by default?

Hi Andy - it was - double-click, that is, and this could all be on by default -I think that would be fine. I don’t think there was a setting for double click - it just worked but with the new single-click behavior I think Mikko felt there needed to be a setting to be able to turn it off, and it seemed reasonable to control both with that setting, at least for now until we see how it plays…

-Pascal

It seems like it should be on by default so that we can get some field testing going.

Does this work with regular polygon edges? So I can click to select edge, double-click to select loop of edges?

[quote=“gustojunk, post:10, topic:38848”]
Does this work with regular polygon edges?
[/quote]On a polygon the control polygon lies on the edges. When the points of a polygon are on and you single-click on an edge the selection menu pops up because you are selecting both the edge and the control polygon. This makes double-clicking on an edge impossible but also makes it harder to select the object.

On curves this feature makes sense. On (poly-) lines not.

I love it! Before I actually make surfaces I work a lot just with lines and curves. I was turning ControlPoints ON/OFF all the time. This new feature is a big improvement for my workflow. Thanks!

Nice work Mikko! I vote for having it on by default as well but keep the option to disable it.

I know we’re not there yet with mesh modeling for sub-d workflows but this will be a must have for row and column selections on meshes as well.

This IS a useful addition to the toolset! I anticipate this will become a solid part of my working process.