Perforated Corrugated Sheet Metal

I’m looking to make Perforated Corrugated sheet metal. I’m using what I thought to be a very high end machine (which it is). I’m hoping to get some suggestion on how to do this so that my computer will not struggle at every decision. It needs to be transparent so that objects can be put behind it (which I have another question to ask about). Each piece will have hundreds of holes (maybe more even). Please help. Thank you. Mo

(Pascal Golay) #2

Do you need this for display/rendering purposes? If so, use a material with a texture (bitmap, usually) that masks the surface at the hole locations.

PerfTest.3dm (243.4 KB)

-Pascal

Yes, I need it to look like real sheet metal, Shadows, highlights, and all. There is a thickness that needs to be able to be seen (even for the holes). I wish that I could have made a texture, but I’m afraid that won’t work for my purposes.

I haven’t worked with using instances in Rhino, but you could instance (block definition) sections of the corrugated sheet and duplicate them.
The pattern is only a basic repeating sine wave with some hole perforations. You could reduce the instance to as little 1 row with one sine wave across or slightly large for ease of working. Instancing them should improve performance. I’m not sure how far you want to go with this and how much of a difference in performance it will make.
Give it a try and see if works for you.

I like Pascal’s suggestion too. If you have a decent renderer that supports normal mapping, in combination with transparencies, you could make it look pretty convincing.
blockWall.3dm (497.8 KB)
-=André

Mo, I’m not sure what machine you are using, but I’m on year and a half old high end laptop tech and the model I just whipped up is not that heavy to flip around and work with, it has 800 holes and is an offset solid surface created by flowalongcurve with a flat surf made from the arrayed 800 holes. @rhinouserx 's suggestion of a blocked repeating section will definitely make things lighter, but if you’re working with less than a 1000 holes that may not be necessary.

sorry the attached zipped file only has 300 holes, even zipped the original file was over size limit for uploading here.

perfedwall460holescorrug.zip (1.8 MB)

Often I get perforated objects from my clients and the Rhino mesher needs a long time to mesh it or fails. I use MoI3D to create a mesh object from the fences. So the Rhino display is fast again, no problems anymore. First you could try to create a mesh per Rhino and delete or hide the original NURBS.
Meshing a small part and use it as repeating block should be good working.

For textured fences workflow - I used a blurred version of the transparency map in the bump slot. So I get reflections at the edges. For rendering using displacement could be an option.