Parametric structural design online workshop using SOFiSTiK in Grasshopper
March 15-17, 2021
10 AM-5 PM CET
Hosted on Zoom by McNeel Europe
Today’s building industry is increasingly complex and specialized. Modern projects are highly driven by intensive collaboration between architects, structural engineers, and other stakeholders. Especially in the digital era, architects and engineers are separated from the building site. Hence, digital models are required to ensure a three-dimensional understanding of the scope of work. The challenge is, the architectural model and the structural model are not exactly the same.
This workshop will give you an intro to parametric structural design using the connection between the powerful analysis software SOFiSTiK and the nearly endless parametric possibilities of the Rhino/Grasshopper world. An emphasis is on exploring methods of collaboration between architects and structural engineers. It is led by structural engineer and software developer Andrés von Breymann and Andreas Niggl from SOFiSTiK AG, along with BIM specialist Junghwo Park from Umdasch Group Ventures.
Participants will probably be structural engineers having basic experience with Grasshopper, but others are welcome. You will expect to learn and achieve the following goals after the workshop:
- Get a basic understanding of how to set up the analysis workflow in SOFiSTiK
- Learn about the SOFiSTiK Grasshopper Interface
- Learn Grasshopper tips and tricks facilitating the analysis workflow
- Learn how to connect analysis with a BIM-model in Revit using Rhino.Inside
Day 1- Get to know the SOFiSTiK Workflow
- Structural analysis with SOFiSTiK
- The SOFiSTiK Rhino Interface
- Interfacing Grasshopper and SOFiSTiK
- Useful Grasshopper Tips and Tricks
Day 2 - Dive deep into the SOFiSTiK Grasshopper World
- SOFiSTiK Grasshopper: Basic examples
- Connecting analysis with BIM using Rhino.Inside
- More SOFiSTiK basics: combinations, result evaluation and reports
Day 3 - Shall we dance?
- Conceptual parametric structural design
- Design collaboration between architects and structural engineers
- Generation and analysis of volume models
- Parametric bridge design
- Future development and summary of the workshop
Online course fee: EUR 395,- (+VAT); full-time students and university teachers get a 50% discount (proof of status required). Please note, your seat will be confirmed after your payment has cleared.
Max. number of participants: 25. If there is no quorum, the course will be February 28.
Course language: English
Educational seats are limited. Sign up now by contacting McNeel Europe!