Parametric adjustment of DWG drawing using Grasshopper

Dear All,
Can you please let me know if its possible to adjust a .dwg drawing in Rhino in a parametric way?

For example, adjust width length of walls or height of an elevation etc.

Thank you very much and i look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Christos

Hi Christos - pretty much anything is “possible”, but will it be practical? I’d say, “no”.
-wim

1 Like

you can reference the geometry within a DWG file and do stuff with it in GH but it sounds like you want to take an existing drawing, modify part of it and have the rest of it adjust accordingly. This is possible but not practical as Wim says.

1 Like

Hi Wim,

Thank you very much for your response. When you say will not be practical you mean???

Can you please let me know if its possible to adjust a .dwg drawing in Rhino in a parametric way?

For example, adjust width length of walls or height of an elevation etc.

Yes, but usually you should embed that logic in the beginning (like Revit does for architecture elements), and at that point you might as well just do it in Rhino + Gh (or Revit) completely and only export to CAD when finished.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your response. I totally agree. Have you seen any example which i can use as basis for my script?

Unless you provide more specifics (example file / geometry / expected results / anything not vague), I will just suggest this.

Hi Michael,

Lets say that we have a rectangular floor plan (a simple example) and we want to adjust the width and the length.

Use combinations of scaling, moving, etc. to adjust accordingly. Depends on the specifics of the conditions. What happens when you adjust the width and length? Do internal rooms stay the same size? Are some rooms favored over others? Are there limits? Do doors move? Do windows move? There are many questions you need to ask yourself in this problem (much of which are asked in BIM, I’d suggest looking at how something like Revit deals with resizing of rooms and then start embedding that logic into your system)

However, as I said earlier, it makes more sense to define the floor plan as a parametric system rather that try to adjust a static floor plan parametrically.