OpenNest - Transform superposition problem

Hi every one !

I recently discovered OpenNest, and i have to say, it’s amazing !

For now i managed to optimised my cuves on sheets for a laser-cutting purpuse but i wanted to had some more geometries on the same place as my original geometrie is.

I searched and read the forum and figured out i had to work with the “Transform” output of the OpenNest solver. When i do so, my new geometries are wild, impossible to make them superpose propely.

My goal is to have several curves with different colors for each curves (so i can tell to the laser cutter to cut black curve and engrave blue ones for exemple). I guess it’s a tree / data problem but i guess i still to beginner for now and i cant solve it by myself.

So if anyone can help me to figure this out, i will be so gratefull !

A little bonus thing, i have a same kind of data / tree management for the number tag, when the contours is cutting my geometrie in 2 or more surfaces on the same plane (like 3 montains of the same height cut by the same plane) my tag mumber can only label one the the 3 surfaces or will give a wrong number thincking it’s an other plan (1 plan can contain several closed curves or surfaces and should all have the same number) !

Decoupe terrain automatique.gh (265.4 KB) Recherches Decoupe Auto terrain LASER CUT.3dm (332.8 KB)

No one could help me with that ? i’m really close to the point but without help i wont be able to finish this tool and work with it :’(
I would really apprciate some hep ! :slight_smile:

Does this help?

You need to group inner curves to separate branches.
The nesting is performed on outer polylines and tou transform inner curves by transform matrices.

I.e.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/opennest-how-to-separate-the-inner-curves-with-transform/1061392

Hi Petras and thx for your answer, to tell the truth, i saw this topic and tried this solution without being capable to find the way. I’m still a beginner in GH and try to do my best but i’m stuck there…

Good morning,

I am pretty novice at GrassHopper/Rhino CAD as my career is more focused on IT Operations, so unfortunately I do not have to much to add.

I also have a similar need in which I want to group each ‘nested layout’ to be able to print them out one at a time. Take a look at the ‘Human’ plugin by Andrew Hueman. It may have some tools to offer that could help. I think his tool will help me to solve some of my issues after Petra’s tool takes care of the nesting amazingly.

Thanks

1 Like

Can you prepare definition so that I would see clearly which elements you need to nest?

Sure ! I clean it a little bit and i post it here in about 10 minutes.

Here is the definition on my last try. i deleted most of my tries to make the file cleaner but it’s maybe be not the closest solution.Decoupe terrain automatique_V2.gh (256.9 KB) Recherches Decoupe Auto terrain LASER CUT.3dm (332.8 KB)

Decoupe terrain automatique_V3.gh (290.5 KB)
Try to follow data tree and hull logic.

1 Like

Wow !!! Thanx a lot Petras ! I’m so glad.
I still trying to understand data Tree but i dont get it for now (i bought AAD book from @Arturo_Tedeschi and i hope this will help me to get it finaly)
For hull logic, maybe my french native language is a barrier, even when i translate hull in french, it doesnt mean nothing and when i search in google about your hull tool, i cant find a thing.
Anyway, thx again for your plugin and for your help, i really appreciate both of them :slight_smile:

Convex hull
It is for grouping your polylines. If polygons are concave then you will probably need other method.

I just come back here a last time to thank you for your help. I just finished my work and it’s all thacks to you !

2 Likes