"open edges" in lattice

Hello everyone!
I’m a bit new in the Grasshopper world.
I’m trying to create lattice mesh from 3d mesh object that I imported to Rhino
I tried two methods:
Crystallon and IntraLattice
when i used Crystallon to create the lattice, everything looks good, but I can’t force it to the 3d mesh border
If i use “mesh intersection” between the lattice and the object, it left me with open edges that i can’t close. When i used IntraLattice to create the lattice, everything looks good, the same problem with the “open edges” - I’m looking for a solution to the “open edges” - to make a contour/boundary/border/anything else that would connect all the “open edges” together.
In the attached images, you will see “open edges” that i am trying to connect…

many thanks in advance
Tal

but what would you expect to see? curves will end in open space so there is nothing to connect. btw if you want help on your file, post it.

Have you tried using the Clean Up functions in Crystallon? You should be able to remove those leftover/floating pieces.

If you want them to perfect match to the referenced 3D mesh boundary that won’t be possible with how the lattice plugins function. They just create boxes that populate the geometry, and those boxes are trimmed or removed to meet the boundary edges, so the curves populating them are as well. I don’t think any of the plugins have the ability to morph the boxes to better match the boundary. Maybe Pufferfish can do that but I’m not experienced in it.

You can also try creating an outer layer as a facade to cover your loose edges.

Dear Matthew_Catagnus,
thanks a lot for your comment -I’ll tries the “clean up” once again - I’ll check if i maybe i skip on some function.
About the outer layer, do you have an idea of how i can manage that cover?

Dear Gijs,
i will. i just need more time. :slight_smile:

In terms of Pufferfish relative to the others it will just be faster due to its multi-threading (and it has the option to keep all boxes always inside the bounding geometry, as well as the ability to use multiple boundaries that intersect without having to boolean them). In terms of conforming the boxes to the outside geometry I did a hacky way with Pufferfish that I posted here. At that point though you probably want to get into something like nTopology.

Screenshot below of Pufferfish “Mesh Boolean Twisted Box” component with Keep Type set to 0 (complete, fully inside) from the Pufferfish example file called “Pf_TwistedBoxLatticeBunnies.gh”:

Another thing you could do is get the end point of each line at the boarder and create a network of lines between them with the Proximity 3D component, then mesh the whole thing with something like Dendro.

1 Like

Hi Tal,

Check out the example files and PDF included with crystallon. The clean up tools can remove trimmed edges, but it sounds like you would like to make a skin from mesh edges and use the “morph lattice to skin” component.

Hopefully this helps!

1 Like

Hi aron
Thank you very much for your answers and webinar - it helped me a lot