Offset curve problem

I have an offset curve problem with this closed curved (which analyze-check tells me is valid) – when I try to offset it in the original (large and complex) file, I either get just a part of the curve or Rhino crashes.
When I copy it to a new file with nothing else in it, I get three curves which extend each other so I can’t join them.

My mistake somehow or a bug?
Thanks in advance - Jan

Offset-curve-problem.3dm (2.5 MB)

Next to the end of the black curve, the red curve has three points within 0.003 mm

I think you could delete two of the three points

1 Like

There are actually 6, same three on the other side…

2 Likes

Hi Jan - in this case, run SimplifyCrv on the polyine then offset.

-Pascal

3 Likes

Great, thanks for your replies! Worked!
But to Martin and Helvetosaur: how did you find that? Is there a command to find those problems? Cause as I wrote: check told me, the curve was okay.

No, no command, just simple deductive reasoning… Find the spot where the offset curve is bad - in this case the ends of the two curves that you can’t join because they overlap a bit - and then examine the original curve near that spot. Turn on control points and zoom in, then you see the extra segments.

1 Like

Okay, great, thanks a lot!

I’ve the latest Rhino 7 on a Mac Studio Ultra.

I’m trying to offset a curve (the brace, see quick linked video):

• first I simplify it
  • then I offset it 0.5mm
    Result: just a little wrong set of points/segments.

How could I reach my target result?
Maybe the starting curve is too complex? But I do not know how to simplify it further…

Any help really appreciated!

That curve is a real mess. It would take you about 30 seconds to remake it. Just lock it and trace over one leg and then mirror. Each “S” doesn’t really need more than maybe 6 control points.

Many people think that SimplifyCrv will remove control points and smooth a curve. It does not. Check the help for what it really does. If you want to start with the original curve instead of tracing over, you can split it at the sharp corners, then use Rebuild on it to smooth and drastically reduce the number of points.

1 Like

Super thanks! As you may imagine… I’m a bit new to Rhino :slight_smile:
I was able to simplify the curve with FitCrv, this time.
But next time… I’ll rebuild it as you suggested! Tks again!