Noobish questions - how to do that kind of operations in Rhino?

Hello everyone,

I’m a total noob in Rhino, but working in the 3D industry for years.

For a job, I received a .stp file of a model, that I import to 3dsmax using a plugin to keep the surfaces as clean as in Rhino. But since the object has been modeled (I guess in rhino), the real object has been modified. And I need to do those modifications on the .stp mode to continue working in 3dsmax.

I installed a trial version of Rhino, did watch a lot of tutorials today, but I’m still not able to do the things I need to, so here I am.

Here is one part of the model,

And this is what I’d like to do, but in Rhino (in this case, I made it in 3dsmax with the .stp converted to poly, and remeshed a part of it)

After a lot of tries, I think I start to understand how Rhino behave.

• extract the surface
  • duplicate the edges
  • simplify it whit FitCrv
  • trim it onto the extracted surface
  • join both surfaces
  • move (constraint to normals)
  • join the surfaces with BlendSrf
  • same for the holes

But… I do have an issue. It did work to connect the surface to the first hole (in two parts), but now for the other ones, I can’t connect the edges. The edge of the upper surface is “one edge”, but for the hole, it s seems to be “two edges”.

If anyone can help me, please ^^’

Thank you for reading me

Thank you, I’ll try that

what’s the difference between edges and curves?

Here you go:

2 Likes

:smiley: omg

can you spare me the time reading the whole help for that simple question? :slight_smile:

Nothing. An edge is always a curve. A curve might not necessarily be an edge. An edge is the name of a curve which defines the edge of something (a surface, mesh, etc.)

Outside if the context of what a NURBS curve or surface is, your question doesn’t make much sense. That’s why I gave you a short, simple document to get your footing.

1 Like

I just asked because I don’t get why transforming that edge to a curve would help me joining those together. But if it works… it’s fine :wink:

As English is not my native langage, maybe there was a subtility I didn’t get until now

edit: ok, my bad, now I understand the thing

I tough I had to dup edges to new curves, join them to my existing surfaces and then connect all those
But loft create a surface between two curves… that’s perfect !

Thank you all,

Hi, back again,

I tried to trim the surfaces, but I’m having troubles : it keeps the wrong part of the surface

I tough it has something to deal with the normals orientation. So I flip them and it did work for my first hole but… not for the other ones, it still keeps the inner side.

(backface in red)

worked for the first one, but no for any other after that.

I tried with a simple box and an shape, and as you can see, whatever the normals are, it keeps the inner side?!

Any idea?
Thank you

It would have been faster if you just had said that normals doesn’t mater and that you only have to click on the part of the surface you want to be removed.

But thank you

@o0sexykoala0o
https://discourse.mcneel.com/faq

Am I impolite?!

I ask a simple question, I take time to illustrate it, and the answer is a link to a 340 pages tutorialn, great !

You probably don’t have a lot of time to help, I understand that, but the answer was so simple : “just click on the part of the surface you want to clip”, and I would have been happy :smiley:

Try the split command and use the circular surfaces for cutting objects.

If the latter intersect with your surfaces you should be fine.

Thank you Stef,

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but I already found the solution

I didn’t know the place where you click to select the surface defines the part that will be cut away

1 Like