One of the problems I face of OffsetSrf 2mm inwards,
A curved edge shrinks inwards, so overal length of item decreases, I need to keep overall length as it was before the inset.
So my plan.
- explode the object. (extendSrf wont work otherwise.)
- extend the surface at ‘A’ then join surfaces together again
- offsetSrf inwards 2mm
- use a surface that represents the original edge to trim it so giving true length and item inset2mm.
so before steps 2 and 3 we make the surface to be used in step 4.
- duplicate edge ‘A’ and join, then extend ends and add three extra lines B C D to take the surface out a little.
- join these three extra lines B C D together, I now have two curves for the next command
- Surface from 2 3 or 4 edge curves, select A and it only selects part of it.
A B C D are not planar so the only command I can use to create a non planar cutting surface fails me.
I am stuck !
Then I use patch !
why though does Surface 2 3 4 edge curves do that ?
SurfaceFrom2_3or4curves_unjoinsCurveA.3dm (197.2 KB)