New V6 Display Faster: GPU Tessellation

Yes, sorry. Btw. when i hide curves the speed goes up more noticable in the larger scene:

Time to regen viewport 100 times = 7.24 seconds. (13.82 FPS) (GPU Tesselation OFF)
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 1.20 seconds. (83.26 FPS) (GPU Tesselation ON)

Super awesome !

c.

I’m working on curves this week. You will most likely not see as drastic of an improvement at first with curves as were seen with polysurfaces and extrusions, but there should be at least another small bump in improvement on your model soon. I don’t know if I’ll have this in place by tomorrow’s WIP, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem for you :wink:

Thanks @stevebaer, i am looking forward to it. Really cool that Rhino WIP now runs much faster while still using this old hardware.

c.

The GPU Tessellation feature should work well with AMD GPUs in the latest WIP. Previously the feature was only working well with Nvidia and Intel GPUs.

2 Likes

RH-39251 is fixed in the latest WIP

Is GPU tesselation now on by default. I just upgraded to the latest WIP, and realized that wireframe is not rendered anymore. Then I looked at the appearance settings:

Haven’t tried it yet with a newer version of the Nvidia driver (there are reasons not to install it).

This is correct. The other addition is that curves are also drawn using the tessellation shaders. I was going to make an announcement about this, but immediately found several bugs related to dynamic display (dragging of curves and array preview) that I have been focused on fixing.

Does this mean that all wires are gone from the display? I can’t tell based on the screenshot you provided.

Can you help me understand why you won’t update from the old driver?

[quote=“stevebaer, post:67, topic:43747”]
Does this mean that all wires are gone from the display? I can’t tell based on the screenshot you provided.[/quote]
Yes, all the wires are gone in the Wireframe viewports.

At the moment, my Windows installation has issues and I cannot control the brightness of my laptop’s display anymore. Until that is fixed, I was thinking about staying with the graphics driver package provided by Lenovo, which doesn’t included the latest Nvidia drivers.

:laughing: I thought I was going crazy! Objects weren’t showing while I was dragging them.

Turned off GPU Tessellation and everything’s back to normal.
I’m running a gtx 970 with recent drivers. (May 2017, that’s recent, yeah?)

1 Like

Only curves don’t show up while dragged.

That is correct. This will be fixed in the next WIP

Hi @stevebaer,

From one day to the other I started having the following tessellation issues others reported about.

Tessellation off:

Tesselation on:

There was no driver update in between. There might have been a WIP update in between.

System information is:

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-9-12 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17255.11421, Git hash:master @ 8cc265bd4280011062ace008d89d5741f7590a03)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (OpenGL ver:4.3.0 - Build 10.18.14.4414)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.3
Shading Language: 4.30 - Build 10.18.14.4414
Driver Date: 3-23-2016
Driver Version: 10.18.14.4414
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\CyclesForRhino.rhp “Cycles for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Graphics information is:

The computer is a Lenovo W540 notebook.

One thing comes to mind. I started developing a plugin for V6 with a display conduit. The problem seems to have started, after I first loaded it. I deleted my PlugIn rhp and restarted Rhino. Still the problem persists.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Silvan

Hi Silvan,
I could tell as soon as I saw your screenshots that you were running an Intel GPU. This appears to be a driver bug that appears on almost all Intel drivers that don’t support OpenGL 4.4 and above. I’m probably going to turn tessellation off by default for these drivers until I can figure out some kind of way to work around the bug. I’ve been able to repeat this on older Intel GPUs in the office and have made numerous attempts to figure out if there is some way to work around this issue always coming up empty.

Ah, funky. Rhino should be running on the dedicated Nvidia card and not on the Intel integrated graphics. This must have changed after having had the computer on sleep. I overlooked this in the info.

Edit: After restarting the computer, things are back to normal. Nvidia GPU being used, tessellation working.

A post was split to a new topic: OpenGL Feature Levels

A post was split to a new topic: Block Selection messed up

any chance we will see SLI implemented here? On first blush it feels faster.

I would say no. With all the different things an interactive content creation view has to do as opposed to a game it’s doubtful it would help much if at all, few users have such setups, and any good GPU renderer like Cycles in V6 or iRay or Octane can use however many compatible cards you can stuff in your machine no matter what they are and having SLI enabled may in fact slow those down.

Indeed it seems that even for gaming with the current-gen products nvidia is no longer really promoting SLI as it is neat (I used to have 2 970s) but is a constant source of game issues, especially trying to use more than 2.

For GPU tessellation?

Yes, that was my question. Admittedly my only experience of SLI is in games, but man it makes everything better. Anyway, I get that it’s not going to happen here, I’ve moved on.