New to Rhino/Grasshopper needing pro help

Hi - Newbie here… After spending the past year working with Fusion 360, I realized I was not able to take my work in that program to the level of what is available in Rhino/Grasshopper. Specifically we are looking to model a new type of construction using hexagons and squares, and if I’m not mistaken, using the parametric modeling available in Grasshopper would enable us to create multi-faceted designs and shapes depending on the numbers and other variables that are input into the program. This is probably a very simplistic description of what happens, but as I said, I am new to this and am not an engineer or architect. Can someone explain in layman’s terms, or point me towards useful beginner information as to what is possible and what is not. thanks . DJH

I think that searching YouTube for “Grasshopper Beginner Tutorial” will get you a long way. If there is something specific that you come across that you would like more information on, please let us know!

While some of these sources are outdated/broken, at least @DavidRutten’s own videos, @fraguada’s O’Reilly course, and the Modelab primer are all excellent beginner sources (these are the first three entries):

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the pointers. I may upload some photos of what I’m talking about and invite comments…

Thanks for your responses. I realize I asked the wrong question here! What I should have said is “are there people within this group who would be interested in working on a new matrix concept with a view towards creating an adaptive structure?” I enclose an image which gives you an idea of what we are talking about.

The array as shown is made up of hexagons and squares (could be rectangles) arranged in such a way as to produce the image shown. I’m hoping that by using Grasshopper/Rhino we can create a 3d model that can change shape depending on the input parameters. Currently the array is sitting on top of a flat hexagonal sheet, but eventually will end up being between two sheets of material, like in a honeycomb core. So if anyone could give me an idea if this is even feasible or not, that would be a great place to start. Thank you. DJH

Hi - help me to understand the lack of response to my questions… either no-one is interested or maybe I have broken some rule about solicitations? I apologize if the latter is the case. I’m just trying to find answers… thanks DJH

I think you need to be clearer about what you mean by this. e.g. are you talking about changing the dimensions of the hexagons and squares or about setting up objects of different shapes containing arrays of standardised hexagons and squares?

The more specific and clearer your question, the more likely people are to give up some of their precious time to helping you…

Hello,
Yes if your idea makes sense geometrically (and it sounds like it does) then GrassHopper is a great tool for setting up a few input boxes or sliders together with a logical flow constructing the surfaces, spacings, etc to build the whole thing. If you get going with it and work through appropriate examples then people on this forum are usually happy to help when you get stuck. There are lots of requests- some get answered immediately, some get missed and are lost behind the newer posts.
Happy GrassHoppering :slight_smile: :cricket:

Thank you for your response Jeremy. I see your point. I’m talking about changing the shape of the assembled matrix using standardized hexagons and rectangles, by changing the angles between them. As you can see in this video when curvature is induced, the rectangle changes from the closed 90º to an open variable angle depending on the curvature.

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/f/1/f1c873d0ad4e75071fb0bc45f5a06abffadf5b61.mp4

I enclose a couple of closeups so you can see the interaction between the pieces. I welcome your comments. Thanks . DJH

Thank you for your response Jeremy. I see your point. I’m talking about changing the shape of the assembled matrix using standardized hexagons and rectangles, by changing the angles between them. As you can see in this video when curvature is induced, the rectangle changes from the closed 90º to an open variable angle depending on the curvature.

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/f/1/f1c873d0ad4e75071fb0bc45f5a06abffadf5b61.mp4

BlRr2eDFTJ6rouIpIa85DA.jpg

RrD3w7Z3SxSP%N1o1UsqCw.jpg

I enclose a couple of closeups so you can see the interaction between the pieces. I welcome your comments. Thanks . DJH