Never thought one day I would use Rhino as Illustrator

Can be done in Illustrator, but I am not familiar with it, so I have to draw the curves in Rhino and then move to AI to add color and text. By the way, they are all 3 degrees 4 CP curves, haha.

12 Likes

I totally agree! Illustrator is at best a vector program I use to export for .eps files (I use for my vinyl cutter and laser cutter) but I always draw in Rhino since it so much easier and the tools are so much better, for instance the snapping function, such an easy feature and one could thought that Adobe would be fast to fix this problem, but no go…

5 Likes

in rhino you can use hatch. the most important tool i really miss in rhino is the interactive color painting, it works similar to hatch in rhino but you can change color on the fly. in rhino you have to reinitiate the hatch command for each new color which is pretty bothersome.

changing hatch colors on the fly would be helping to finish drawings in a breeze.

4 Likes

I like the precision of Rhino. It’s especially important for logo-like vectors.

3 Likes

Rhino v2.0 was my first Rhino experience and the reason was that I was looking for a good vector program. Back then, Illustrator was so limited, meanwhile Illustrator has improved a lot but still can’t match Rhino in some points.

2 Likes

I never knew that. Thanks for telling me that. I keep it in mind!

Can you explain this again?
Seems something that can be aided with some script/gh …

I think he only wants that when changing colors you see the color before you dismiss the color picker dialog. Unfortunately, none of the Rhino color functions work this way. In addition, when solid hatches are selected, they remain highlighted - so you can’t see any changes anyway until you close the color dialog.

if hatch could work like this regarding coloring, but also for different patterns, that would make hatch far more sufficient. hatching is a decorative work, communicating fast is key. initiating hatch for each new shade is time consuming if you have a lot of different hatches to work. right now it just gets the work done but just getting work done for such an important part is not good enough and probably one of the biggest reasons people still have to switch to other software like autocad and illustrator to get this done.

Untitled

not only that you see the colors but also that you can change them without having to exit the command.

4 Likes

Also for international users. Unicode language support is a win for illustrator. Since rhino doesn’t support right to left languages.

Couldnt agree more!
I stopped using Illustrtr years ago since i was tired of bad precision. And that was after having used it for almost 20yrs…

A few other things that can be helpful when using rhino for graphics. _PrintDisplay allows you to see line weights and print colors. Works great when used in conjunction with layouts. Also, transparent hatches are a big step forward for rhino in this regard. Plug-ins like vectorize bring in functionality similar to live trace. Things I wish rhino could do better- outline stroke in illustrator, and the end points can be flat/sharp/rounded.

Hi Andrew -

That one is now possible in the Rhino 8 WIP:

-wim

11 Likes

This Grasshopper Addon works like a charm if you want to import Graphics from Rhino to AI:

-Kevin

4 Likes

Nice! Missed that - that’s a great addition :slight_smile:
-Jakob

oh oh… Now I should give a try to RH8 :star_struck:

@wim If there is a test command, please let me know it.

NVM, I found it here

That is for sure a GREAT feature.

Now you won’t ever replace Illustrator with Rhino.
Adobe Illustrator (or even inskape!) structured styles are way (above) different from any other CAD software capabilities, because these are two separate worlds.
Don’t ask Chevy to make Tesla…for now at least.

Hello, Quan. I also want to make vector lines in Rhino and import them into Illustrator. When I export a.ai file from Rhino and open it in Illustrator, the file is not 1:1. When I copied directly from Rhino to Illustrator, it wasn’t 1:1 either. How can I solve this problem? thank you

What do your export settings look like?