Never think to purchase MAC OS for Rhino!

dont forget to use testmetal, or select metal, not sure how the current state is. only then will you see the speed bump.

We’re getting close to when the new WIPs will have Metal enabled by default.

5 Likes

That’s great news! Will this new version of Metal support features such as technical views, shadows, and ambient occlusion? Are those planned for the future?

We’re trying to support all of these with metal in Rhino 8. The goal is to not have OpenGL running on Rhino for Mac in V8.

6 Likes

Uh, exiting for both Intel and SOC! I hope you’ll have it ready for when I get my new machine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get a windows PC it eats it up you will need the new graphics card and 16 ram

I was on of the few people who started my journey on Rhino with macOS device. So I bought M1, some things are a bit slow but there are tricks to speed it. For my preview mode, I used modified arctic view that has lines enabled and flat shading. Somehow in that mode the speed is very good, and activity monitor revealed that Rhino was able to use 80% gpu…

And history keeps repeating itself…

but this explain so good why you shouldn’t buy a Mac.

I don’t know how big is the Mac market but from my point of view McNeel shout leave it now and finally concentrate on win.

@Max3 we discussed why not use a Mac: this is the final score!

Couldn’t have said it better @skysurfer

If that explains so good why you shouldn’t buy a Mac what about the hundreds of reasons why not buying a PC anymore? (having been a PC user for 20 years)

Having said this, please McNeel ignore such comments, we are looking forward to a METALlic Rhino V8 which runs as smoothly as in the old V5 times.

6 Likes

I love my Mac, and I love my iRhino and I love the Mac Rhino software. I had a PC and I had Rhino on windows before. I am not tech savvy and had so many problems with my PC due to anti virus software and my computer dyslexia.
For the past 10 years now on Mac , have not had any issues.

1 Like

Just take OPs advice and do yourself a favor.

Microsoft Windows is analogues to an unappealing, abusive partner, that anybody would be better off simply divorcing, instead of being frustrated, love starved, and willing to try to run down other peoples’ healthy partnerships on the internet, while their OS is throwing another unexpected, hour-long tantrum/backup in the background.

1 Like

Unfortunately I only have version 5.
Can’t I run WIP V8 regardless?

Seems like it is better to stay with V 5 then… for now.

Participation in the WIP development process requires you own a permanent license of the current shipping version.

1 Like

Thanks John. Have a great Sunday.

Hi Razaqe

How do you find V8 so far? Is it better?

to be honest, I couldn’t feel of any change :sweat_smile: maybe my designs are not touch the improvement, as I was expect to have version 8 smooth (not heavy ) like version 5 .

If you’re on Apple Silicon, it’s much better in terms of display performance when using Metal, however it’s an unfinished piece of software and many things don’t work yet.

I use Rhino on both Windows and Mac computers. I prefer the WIndows version for modeling and especially since I use Rhinocam for our CNC machines a solid Windows workstation is a must. But for running the business and backup file management I prefer a Macbook/iPhone setup, and I find myself opening and editing Rhino files on the Macbook almost every day. So please keep up the parallel development of both.

4 Likes