Negative buckling lengths and coefficient for buckling length

Hello,

I noticed that if we ask Karamba3D to automatically define buckling lengths for buckling in Y and Z, it gives negative length. Can someone please explain a reason behind it or am I missing something here? And is it correct that k (coefficient for buckling length) is considered 2 if member’s one end is free or else it is 1 regardless of fixed or hinged condition, which would make it conservative for fix-fix and fix-hinge condition.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards
Anand Shah

Hi, you can refer to this for more information on buckling length calculations in Karamba: 3.1.12: Disassemble Element - Karamba3D 2.2.0

1 Like

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the help. I went through the documentation (3.6.8) and I think it says somewhat similar to what I was assuming. 3.1.12 says that absolute values should be considered for calculations, which makes sense. Nevertheless, I am a bit confused about the highlighted part in the attached image. How could this way of calculating lengths result in negative values?

Best Regards
Anand Shah

Hi,
the negative symbol does not indicate that it has a negative buckling length. It merely indicates that the buckling length has been automatically calculated. You are able to manually override the buckling length of each element using the ModifyElement component.