Need Help With Adding Anchor Points to the Bottom Corners of this Dome

Hi @user1650

Have a look at this
Circlepacking_tangent_corner.gh (21.9 KB)

That script included in the definition in your first post, which I previously posted and which @Wiley quotes above is not needed here.
That was an earlier variation of the goal to keep the outer circles tangent to the boundary curve, but this is integrated in the built-in TangentCircles goal itself - the only thing to watch out for is that the direction of the boundary curve must match the orientation of the surface, so sometimes needs flipping.

This is also not somewhere where anchors will be helpful, because the location depends on the radius, which is not known in advance.

What is actually needed here is a Goal to keep the corner points equidistant from 2 different boundary segments either side of the sharp corner.
The definition I included at the start of this reply uses the same custom goal for this I previously posted here:

As mentioned there though, be aware that it becomes geometrically impossible to have a perfect circle packing with given connectivity once you include more than 2 corners. (To get technical, this is due to the Koebe–Andreev–Thurston theorem, which says that the circle packing for a given graph is unique up to Moebius transformations, and stopping 2 points on the boundary from sliding by constraining them to be tangent to the corner is equivalent to setting this Moebius transformation)

What this means in practise is that when >2 corners are included, the packing might be forced away from the boundary in places.

1 Like