Moving points along circles to operate a pattern

Hello everyone,

I am trying to move 3 points along 3 circles to operate my pattern. The pattern will “open” as you can see in the attached photos.

I don’t know how to stick the points onto the circles and move them with slider component.

Could you please help me with this?!

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Anthony

Asking - Kangaroo.gh (61.3 KB)

kaleidocycle
kaleidocycle.gh (18.9 KB)

Here’s how I’d approach this.
I’m not sure it’s possible for the points to move along circles because of how the shape contracts and expands.
Instead it is controlling the direction of 3 of the edges.

6 Likes

kaleido00000
kaleidocycle2.gh (24.7 KB)

I showed with tetrahedrons above, but you can also connect here your surfaces instead

Hello Mr. Deniel Piker,

This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help!

Best regards,

Anthony

1 Like

Hello Mr. Piker,

When I use your definition for my models, if the models initially “opened” like you did, they worked perfectly.

However, if the models “closed” as in the GH file attached in this post, I don’t know how to make them work.

Please take a look at the file and give me some suggestions!

Best regards,

Anthony

Asking - Kangaroo - 25-11.gh (46.9 KB)

Would you mind explaining how you fixed it?

I know little about Kangaroo but quickly found differences in your data tree structures compared to @DanielPiker’s example. Your Crv list needed to be flattened and your Brep list needed to be flattened first, then grafted.

Kangaroo_2019Nov25a

The starting positions (orientation) of your curves and breps don’t match Daniel’s example.

Custom Preview fails to show your mesh at all but enabling preview on the Mesh component shows something, albeit a little weird? Why?
OH! It’s because I’m using R5. :man_facepalming: Connecting a Colour Swatch fixes that flaw.

FYI, leaving duplicate copies of code in a model is confusing. I looked at your first group and deleted the second. Oh rats, I just applied the same fixes to your second group and see better results, though still weird. Can you please explain your fix? Thanks.

P.S. I see you’re still working on it, good.

Hello Mr. Oster,

I am sorry for this belated reply!

As Mr. Piker told me before, when the edges of geometries are too close together, the geometries cannot turn. Therefore, I have “opened” my model (you can see in the GH file attached) and offset the reference lines for rotation direction. Then it works.

Could you give me some opinions about the definition?!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Anthony

Mr Oster - Kangaroo.gh (30.0 KB)

I am in no way qualified to evaluate what Kangaroo is doing, or even understand what @DanielPiker said (in bold above), but I suspected the sequence of breps and curves might affect the outcome. I see you’ve gone to considerable length to reorder them, which works much better now, but I have to wonder why they were “messed up” in the first place?

Kangaroo_2019Nov25a2

It’s a fascinating motion. I couldn’t resist taking a whack at it without using Kangaroo:

origami_2019Nov25a.gh (17.2 KB)

P.S. I can’t easily measure the mesh generated by Kangaroo but suspect that RigidBody implies the top and bottom segments don’t change length during rotation? This (below) demonstrates that my non-Kangaroo solution fails at that part:

origami_2019Nov25b
origami_2019Nov25b.gh (19.3 KB)

And it’s probably not as simple as finding a different point of rotation.

P.P.S. At 45 degrees rotation, all segments have the same length, top and bottom. Keeping them the same length at all angles is what Kangaroo is doing for you.

origami_2019Nov25b2

Hello Mr. Oster,

Thank you very much for your thought and the definition!!!

This is what I wanted my model to be.

It took me long time to figure out the logic of the definition. But it is very complicated. Your suggestion is just genius, hence much simpler than mine.

Thanks again for your suggestion!!!

Best regards,

Anthony

Please see my “P.S.” above. My simple non-Kangaroo model doesn’t do what Kangaroo is doing. And now that I think about it, I can sort of understand what @DanielPiker was saying… If edges are too close together, it’s definitely possible that enforcing the RigidBody constraint would fail.

Still, it’s interesting and works in its own way, with any number of segments, regular or irregular polygons. Might be interesting to explore different ways of positioning the alternate “vertical” segments.

Hello Mr. Oster,

Yes, I will check in the definition.

Thanks a lot for letting me know that!

Best regards,

Anthony

Hello Mr. Piker,

I am trying to use your definition to my surfaces, but it is not working. I guess it is because the surfaces in my model are matching each other.

Could you please help me to solve it?

Best regards,

Anthony

11-30 - Asking - Kangaroo.gh (34.0 KB)

It works much better to start the simulation from an open position.
One way to do this is to rotate one of the surfaces a bit away from the closed position then use Kangaroo to reposition and reorient it so that the 2 edges lie on the appropriate planes. Then you can plug it into the same kaleidocycle definition I originally posted above.
kaleido_planes.gh (19.8 KB)
kaleido_00000

1 Like

Hello Mr. Piker.

This is what I am looking for.

Thank you so very much!

Best regards,

Anthony