Mesh from Agisoft Metashape to textured solid

Hi everyone,

I’m seeking help with creating a pipeline to convert a mesh to a solid in Rhino. I created a doll model using Metashape, employing the Mesh tool and adding texture (I also used the close hole tool to fill in geometry gaps).

However, I’m facing significant challenges. I conducted some tests with the doll, but when I use the MESHTONURBS tool to convert it to a solid, Rhino transforms it into a solid but fails to retain the texture. Additionally, the doll model cannot be imported into Revit after the pipeline process.

Has anyone encountered similar issues or have any advice on how to maintain the texture during the conversion and ensure successful import into Revit?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

(Also! I will upload the 3DM file, is from RHINO 8. This file only contains the closed mesh because aparrently the forum can’t upload bigger files… LOL)

Best regards,
J.
3DS.3dm (4.6 MB)

MeshToNURB creates polysurface with a separate NURBS surface for each mesh face. For your example the polysurface has 46186 surfaces. That large a polysurface is rarely useful and may cause problems. As you found the texture mapping does not carry over properly.

Links on importing mesh objects into Revit. (I am not a Revit user):

Hello David!
There’s any way of reducing the size of the closed polysurfaces? and what about remapping the texture?

Use quadremesh instead, after convert it into a subd and then into a polysurface
Seams complex but the result is incredible with just a little effort.

You can also use reducemesh to… Reduce the poligon count of the mesh.

Hello Skysurfer!
Will the final result be a closed Solid? (or at least textured? i think this final part is the most annoying, i dont know how to map)
Thank u for ur answer, im very noob with this program! :sleepy: :sleepy:
The workflow is Quadremesh > subD > Polysurface?

I will try it in the morning
thank u

ALSO! sorry for any typos, im from brazil haha

Quadremesh gives what you have, so a solid remains solid an open mesh become a messy quads.
Shrinkwarp help preparing the 3D for the process.
Unfortunately the textures aren’t kept during the process so you have to apply them again at the end of the process.

Better to start from this tutorials:

Brian James

Kyle

Simply rhino

1 Like

These awesome videos should be a lot more present!!!

You can get an OBJ with a texture map into Revit, watch from 10:30 to 37:40 at the link

No need to convert to polysurfaces or use Rhino at all.
Blender is recommended to work with the materials as well as orientation (mentioned in the video)

I’m not sure how the texture atlas that Metashape creates will work. I’ll have to give that a try when I have some time. The examples in the video used one texture per mesh rather than mapping sub areas in a single texture file to different areas of a single mesh.

Here is the doll in Revit 2024, I attached the RFA (Revit Family file) but the Revit RVT is too big to upload here, its attached as a DropBox link.

The texture atlas from Metashape is not a problem.

doll.rfa (4.9 MB)
Here’s a DropBox link for the RVT (Revit file) as it it too big to upload here.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/9gnc4l4a2hb2onnpqz7sp/AMZZLrIFnegns1iAiLSopDs?rlkey=dqmhsqc4h02sznpn8dk2mh11r&st=45tkkz6l&dl=0