Materials being duplicated

Hi

This is relevant to the OctaneRender for Rhino plugin.

If I assign a Custom material to a box, as follows (with the Octane Material assigned to the Sphere):

then I select the box and ctrl-C then ctl-V, I end up with:

Note that an extra Octane Material has been created. I can see this happening in the RenderContent_ContentAdded event.

Why does this happen please, and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Paul

@johnc do you have any idea how this could happen?

I was unable to reproduce with a material from another 3rd-party plug-in, but maybe with your intimate knowledge of the RDK you have better chance of seeing what happens…

@pkinnane This sounds like a bug that appeared in 6.16 and is fixed in 6.18. If so, it will be fixed when you get 6.18. Just to confirm, what version of Rhino are you using? Please see Help/About Rhinoceros (lower right).

Thanks,

John

1 Like

Hi John. I confirm that I am running 6.16. I will test to ensure it is fixed when 6.18 is released.

Thanks

Paul

@johnc I downloaded SR18, updated all of my drivers etc and the issue appears to be unresolved. Using 6.18.19239.10091 with Octane Render 2018.1.3.

Hi James. I’m sorry to hear it’s not working. I will look into it. In the meantime could you try running the command RenderImportRenameConflicting and see if toggling that option fixes it for you? That will give me a clue about what might be wrong.

Thanks,

John

Hi @james4,

Just following up. Did the above work for you?

John

Hi John, when I type that command it says that it is an unknown command. I’m still experiencing the issue - currently running Octane Studio for Rhino 2019.1.4.115 and Rhino 6.20.19322.20361.

@johnc

@james4 Sorry for the confusion. I wrote that message back in August but since then the command has been removed and replaced with two commands, RenderImportConflictOption and RenderPasteConflictOption. You can use these commands to change the behavior independently for importing and pasting. Please note that these commands do not auto-complete.

John

Got it - fixed. Thanks John!

Hi guys. I’m having a similar issue. In this example the tree has 7 meshes (trunk, leaves 01, leaves 02, stems, etc.) I assign custom materials to each mesh and then change them to Vray materials. So, in this example, 7 meshes, 7 materials, right? All looks fine and well except whenever I re-open the file, the materials are duplicated with some weird hashtags and arbitrary numbering. Can someone please shed some light on why this happens and how to stop it.

TIA
H

Hi @hayden,

This is a different issue than the one originally reported here. Your issue with the # numbered duplicates is not caused by Rhino, but by a 3rd-party plug-in. I investigated this back in November and determined that it was probably Vray that was duplicating the materials. I would suggest that you contact Vray about it.

Regards,

John