Material Editor taking a LOOOONG time to open

I added a couple of new materials to my personal material library last night, but also updated to 5A772w, so i’m not sure which might be the root issue, but today, opening the Material Editor is WAAAAY slower than it was yesterday, which was already quite slow.

I’m talking several minutes of the CPU being maxed out on and off and bringing the whole machine to a crawl while i wait for it to open (or re-open if i made the mistake of closing it).

Also noticed it takes considerably more time to open, though for me it was more a matter of a few seconds more.

What’s more interesting is that rendering is taking a seriously long time compared to the Windows version of Rhino.

Thanks for these reports. Can either or both of you provide a model as well as all of the textures? You can send it using www.rhino3d.com/upload and just say for BrianJ in the comment. Also mention the thing you’re reporting too though…

I’ll be shedding on Rhino Render in the Mac tomorrow in preparation for making some tutorials in this area. I might be able to reproduce what you’re seeing too. It should however be the same as Rhino Render in the Windows version in terms of the feature set. Delay in the material editor is Mac specific though and is probably being caused by the size of the model or materials present at a guess. I’ll dig deeper but if you have a file that shows it, that would be great.

Hi, I have a simple file here, rendering takes very long, more than a few minutes. I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with dedicated GPU.

I have attached one single texture to the box and set the texture scale to 10 in both directions so it looks checkered.

When opening the materials box it takes way longer than when I open it the first time when there’s no texture assigned to the box yet.

When I set ‘texture mapping’ to custom it doesn’t show the menu anymore, it used to show the menu for the previous Rhino for Mac version.

Heres the file:
mapping_materialtime_1.3dm (60.1 KB)

Here some screenshots.

Missing options

Time to render (goes down after a few seconds to a minute or 2)

Render settings

The model i’m working on actually didn’t have any materials applied at all, anywhere in the file. Is it possible that having a large number of Custom materials affects the load time of the Material Editor?

I did notice that after quitting and restarting Rhino, it sped up quite a bit. Perhaps there’s a memory leak somewhere in the Material Editor code?

I posted on this problem a number of times under the topic “Extreme lag” 8 days ago (is there a better way to refer or link to earlier posts?).
The best work around I’ve found is to separate the parts into individual files, create the materials there and then paste them all together in the one file. I’m having quite a few problems with lighting and materials in the new render engine but I expect these will be addressed in due course.
The way that the settings under Material Colour, Texture, Transparency, Environment and Bump interact with each other is difficult to get a handle on. Maybe I should mention this in a different post?
One thing I would like to see is the ability to scale texture maps.

Thanks for the file. This is very strange, I can render your checkered box in under a second here. The Material editor also opens up in 5 seconds but I will ask the developers about speeding this up. @Andy that’s you! Can you test it as well for comparison? The texture mapping section of object properties is also visible here although it is not switching to custom after I apply a box map… so I’ll file that now.

I’ll have to keep trying to figure out what’s possibly different on your system.

You can copy and paste the link of the other topic to reference it or click “reply as linked topic” which comes up when hovering over reply.

Please send me any files, I’m having trouble reproducing what you and some others are describing but if we have a file, I might be able to figure out why it’s happening and can log a bug for the developers. The simpler the file the better.

Hmm… I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I’m not using the latest OSX because not all my software is compatible with it yet. I’m using OSX 10.9.5

Not using any power saving schedule and rendering with the power supply attached.

My specs are:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
SSD 512Mb

GPU: