MatchSrf Request: refine with target edge degree

Hi All,

I would like that MatchSrf comman could recognize the untrimmed edges and use the target edges as new degree for the modified surface.

The refine option creates a super complex surface that is not the ideal result.

Desired result.

By now the solution is to change the degree before matching or after if you are using marchsrf with history.

3 Likes

+1 for me!
This would be very good .

This needs to be carefully thought through.

If both surfaces are single span and and the surface with the edge to be matched is higher degree than the surface with the edge to be modified, then increasing the degree of the surface with the edge to be matched will genearlly not create problems.

However if both surfaces are single span and and the surface with the edge to be matched is lower degree than the surface with the edge to be modified, then decreasing the degree of the surface with the edge to be matched will usually change the shape of the entire surface including the shape of the edge opposite the edge being matched. This can cause problems.

The situation with multi-span surfaces is more complicated. If the surface with the edge to be match is multi-span and it’s degree is increased then either multiknots will need to be used or the shape of the surface including the shape of the edge opposite the edge being matched will change. Either can cause difficulties.

If the surface with the edge to be match is multi-span and it’s degree is decreased then the shape of the surface including the shape of the edge opposite the edge being matched will change. This may cause problems.

I agree with you David, this should be through carefully, but for me, there might be a change to prevent the unnecessary complexity of the results we have now.
If my theory knowledge is ok, talking about single-span surfaces, any bigger degree surface can match to a lower degree, but this is not the same way around for the smaller to a bigger degree.

What I’m asking for is the possibility of increasing the degree for the modified surfaces to match the target surface if possible. If you want a reduction you should do it before the match.