Linked Block Definition GUID not Static

Hi everyone,

We are having a problem with the linked file, If the user edit the linked block geometry then definition id and definition name are changed in the main document. Every time the externally edited block geometry is saved and I back to the main session definition id has changed while fetching data from API C#

@pascal @dale

-@Sarath

Hi Sarath - why is that bad for your workflow? Can you assign some UserText to the instances to be able to pick thrm out rather than by guid?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

User text also get vanished. If instance Id changed then We can’t track which inatance need to be corrected by designer.

-@Sarath

Hi Sarath - I did this:

Insert a 3dm file as a linked block.
Select the block instance and add user text (in my case via the Properties panel but you can of course do this via code), key and value.
Double-click to edit the block - made my change in the second instance of Rhino, saved and closed.
My first instance updated the block and my user text key/value was still on the instance.

But the ID of the instance was also unchanged, so I guess I’ll let the bigger brains sort this out, I am clearly misinterpreting the question…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

It’s work for first level linked block. Please check for linked file with some nested embedded block instance. We store user text for nested embedded blocks inside the linked file without opening it.

-@Sarath