Linear cutting in a grasshopper

V1F under new management:

Clusters_OnNumbers_EntryLevel_Public_V1F.gh (71.1 KB)

Great news: some fellas (with cash on hand) contacted me today: can you split Uranium they asked. I said: show me the money.

Screen%20Shot%20083

2 Likes

Dear Dark Lord and The merciless,
I will miss the Guru of gurus (…), incredible work he has done all this way from the beginning of this quest… but I have to say I felt complete after the new administration took the lead in this adventurous mission… Very outstanding work you have done together guys!.. I’m honored to have your help! Thanks again!

All the best!

The Dark Lord and The Merciless finding the answers together

The Merciless taking the lead

V1F in action - Total success!!

Said The Merciless: I can beat you. I can achieve 100% ER and zero waste (Karma a must). I must implement a 3rd Method (by the book) to the V1G. Said the Lord: Utopia is a nice place to be … the only issue is that tickets are very expensive (800 ms for 20 integers + ~1.3M loops).

It would be very interesting to see how accurate the V1G could be. The additional waiting time could be used wisely, for example, from enjoying a cup of coffee or a real delicacy like a banana split. :grin:

Said the Merciless: I can beat you fair and square: what about 90 ms for 500 numbers and who knows how many clusters? (that’s 200++ times faster: ER from 98% to 100%). Take that you pathetic Lord of Darkness.

Said the Merciless (the real one): well … leaving aside the fact that this thingy is strictly internal, whilst you were after less milliseconds and other trivial matters I took the liberty to sell your code to the Uranium fellas: zillions here I come: take that you stupid girl.

Screen%20Shot%20018

The Uranium fellas did it again, for those who do not have zillions to spend, would you accept Megabucks or Bluebacks in exchange of the V1G code as well? Or a 30-days free trial will work for me as well! :smiley:

Well … the offer is not bad … but … I don’t have the practice any more (the U235 fellas got everything - most notably code related with recursion [in the Name of Science, they said]). With the zillions I’ve just started a pink Bermuda shorts business (shown: Me with my board of directors - BTW: the Merciless works in the facility as the chief clean lady).

But I can sell you shorts in good prices in any color you want (as far is pink).

The Zillionaire lifestyle suits you very well, good for you! and for The Merciless, I believe she deserved an executive position as well, so don’t be surprised if she is selling at your back your company’s shares to the U235 fellas! We know she likes to take the lead…

Dear Lord of Darkness and The Merciless, It was a fantastic and fun ride, thanks a lot for helping me finding a better way to slice bananas, your contribution was quite educational and very helpful! :grin:

PS- My apologies for the delay of my response, I was busy dealing with family related stuff lately, finally I am having some peace to reply.

Happy Holidays!

Dear Peter,

I am back with a question in this matters. I would like to ask for your advice about how would you address running this optimization tool when some materials have different lengths in the raw material (the max value), say dinosaur ears comes in lengths of 200" and the goat skin in lengths of 180", because if the input data has been arranged to separate the input accordingly with their max values, it seems is not working at this time this script.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks again!

Hello Alan could you please help me understand this? I am trying to do the same that you did a while ago but with no luck.
Please guide me. For example whats the correct MAX VALUE for the wikipedia example? did that ever worked correct for you?

What kerf value should I use for a light sabre?

Can you please guys help me this one. I am trying to minimize waste for 1d wood cutting.
this examples here seem so complex for my understanding. please help me

Hi,
I didnt read all the thread, I came across the same problem these days.
I wrapped the code from here: https://github.com/ruarai/CuttingStockProblem/blob/master/CuttingStock/Program.cs
into a component.
I did it in a hurry, and finally didnt tried it well, just with the initial data, but 2 possible plank lengths, dont know if its a good result.
CuttingStock.gha (8 KB)
Unbenannt

Let me know what you think!

8 Likes

Uh… :man_facepalming:

It works great!

2 Likes

The best comment of this threat.

2 Likes

It works perfectly. Is it possible to add the thickness of the cutting tool and add it when cutting?

I am sorry, I think I might not understand. What exactly do you mean?

For example, the thickness of the saw is 5 millimeters. It is necessary to cut a workpiece 3 meters long into pieces 1 meter long. If we do not add the thickness of the saw, we get 3 pieces 1 meter long. If we add the thickness of the saw (3*5mm), we get 2 pieces 1 meter long and the waste is 985 millimeters.

1 Like

Hello Alexander
Do you need to account for saw width and end cuts in linear nesting?
this node and the algorithm in it will not be able to do this, at this stage