:Layers panel highlight color

In my intallation of V6 Layers panel selected layers are highlighted by darker blue background with white lettering. Bold and can’t be missed. In my installation of WIP/V7 selected layers are highlighted by a very pale blue with black lettering. Subtle and very easy to miss unless I look for it. My recollection is that until recently the highligting in WIP/V7 was the same as in V6. I realize that my sense of design may not be refined but I strongly prefer the bold highlighting over the very subtle highlighting.

How can I change the Layers panel highlighting in WIP/V7?

Did I cause the change or is this a change of the default?

In both images below Layer 02 and Layer 03 are selected.

V6LayerPanel V7LayerPanel

2 Likes

I searched Rhino options and cannot find a setting for the highlight color. My laptop with hybrid Intel/NVIDA graphics and my desktop with Radeon graphics have the same appearance so I don’t think it is graphics hardware related. Could it be Windows update related?

From my laptop:

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-9-8 (Rhino WIP, 7.0.20252.11325, Git hash:master @ c14d321ef9d01a56fb7da5403d5de34dafcd482f)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-09-08
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2020-10-23

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 12Gb)

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-15-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 4-3-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 445.87

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-3-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4587
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20252.11325
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20252.11325
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20252.11325
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20252.11325
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20252.11325
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

Hey @davidcockey,

Your not going crazy. The Layers panel and control now get’s color from Rhino (Options > Advanced Settings). So you can set the selected layer color to whatever you want.

– Dale

@dale Thanks for the reply. Can you or someone tell me which setting to change? I’ve looked through Rhino (Options > Advanced Settings) several times, including before starting this thread, and do not see which setting controls the color of layer highlighting. Also, if a change a setting when does it take effect? When I change the color? When I close the pop-up panel for the particular setting? When I close Options? When I restart Rhino?

Hi @davidcockey,

I can’t speak for the current WIP. But for the WIP to be released this week, you will want to set the Rhino.Options.UIPaintColors.PressedEnd color. The color should update after you close the color selection dialog.

– Dale

1 Like

@Dale. Thanks. Turns out it is theRhino.Options.UIPaintColors**.PressedStart** color (not PressedEnd) in Work In Progress (7.0.20252.11325, 9/8/2020).

Hi @davidcockey,

PressStart is incorrect, which is why I mentioned trying this week’s WIP.

– Dale

2 Likes

Hi,
This threw me completely when it came out. I couldn’t see any highlighting I had to adjust my monitor’s contrast to see the highlighting. I much prefer the older bolder style as a default it makes seeing what
is selected much easier especially with the text going white on dark blue instead of no change pale blue.
RM

Confirmed the highlight color is set by Rhino.Options.UIPaintColors.PressedEnd in Work In Progress (7.0.20259.15365, 9/15/2020) and the default color is satisfactory for me.