Laptop for rhino + grasshopper

Hey Guys,

I’m working a lot with (kangaroo) grasshopper and rhino and would like to know what are the most important things to look at?
processor, graphic card, or is it more the RAM memory, …
At the moment I’m simply working on a HP Elite Book with i5-4200U, 1.60GHz to 2.30GHz and 8GB RAM;
So not the most powerful machine, but to be true everything is working so far. But I think now its time for an upgrade.
Or isn’t it so important for grasshopper(rhino) to have such a strong computer at all? What are the noticeable advantages to use a powerful computer?
Thanks for answers and help

Greets
Marc

Any component of a PC affects the performance, directly or indirectly. Not only CPU, GPU and RAM, but also Power Supply, Cooling, Motherboard, Connectors… Everything. Even the OS and the Services running in the background. Does it help you to upgrade? Hard to tell. Often a weak and strong system are both too slow or both too fast. Sometimes the differences are huge. It really depends on the work you do, and even on the current task you solve. One day it doesn’t matter, one day it matters… There are some edge cases like rendering or training a neural net. But for the average tasks I rather say take a system which fits your wallet :slight_smile:

Rhino (as any CAD system) demands high Single-Core CPU performance and a decent GPU.

Hey Tom,

thanks for your answer, yeah I can see if only rhino + grasshopper is running my CPU is about 22% so I think thats ok, but once I start to render something it goes up to 100%. So Rendering is not so important for me atm.
But maybe some simulations and plug ins need more or less.
There must be big differneces, thats true. :wink:

Its because Rhino utilizes only 1 core for most of the time… But even with higher single core performance, you might only get 20 % faster computation time. So if a script computes at 80ms or 100ms shouldn’t really matter. Often the algorithm is important (=and so the user who implements it).

The same regarding geometry. Heavy surfaces are also bad, because they increase the computation time. E.g. The computation of two surfaces intersecting takes longer, the larger the knot-vector, the amount of control-points and the higher the degree is. Repeat that for hundreds of elements, and you drastically decrease the performance.

But again, if you have the money, it’s not wrong to invest in a stronger system.

ok, yes cleaning up the scripts or algorithms, using effective and simplifying tools or plugins should be the most important thing, if the computer can’t handle it then maybe the file is too big or structured badly,…

thanks for answers