JoinBreps edge gaps

I’m having some trouble emulating the _Join command with Rhino Common. I have 3 surfaces, that intersect on common edge curves and I want to join them to make a uniform brep. If I use the Rhino GUI and click on Join in the surface block, select the 3 surfaces, things work fine. The new brep is smooth and connected along the edges.

However, when I try to replicate this functionality with the SDK, I still get gaps between the surface edges after the joinBreps command succeeds. I’ve attached a few graphics below to illustrate what I’m seeing.

breps = [rs.coercebrep(id, True) for id in surfaceIds]
joinedbreps = rg.Brep.JoinBreps(breps, 0.01)
for brep in breps: _guid = sc.doc.Objects.AddBrep(brep)
rs.DeleteObjects(surfaceIds)

Any help is appreciated!

Original Surfaces

Original Surfaces Rendered

Join command from Rhino GUI

Scripted JoinBreps command from rhinocommon

Scripted JoinBreps command from rhinocommon, rendered

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #2

JoinBreps may give you partially joined result where naked edges still remain. If you’re making a solid (are you?) I suppose you could test if any naked edges remain, and if not, use a looser tolerance when joining.

I am trying to make a solid. I played around with the tolerance parameter a bit and didn’t see any difference. The thickness of the layers is about 2mm, and I tried varying the tolerance from 0.01mm to 5mm and got the same result shown above. Am I using the correct strategy to try to create a solid?

How would I test for naked edges and what can I do about them?
What is the Rhino Join command doing behind the scenes?

Just to follow up in case anyone runs into the same problem, I solved the problem by replacing the thin edge surface generation with Brep.CreateFromSweep instead of a Brep.CreateFromLoft. Then I was able to adjust the tolerance in JoinBreps until the NakedEdges stopped showing up. (which required an order of magnitude increase from the default ModelAbsoluteTolerance). I also played around with Breps.JoinNakedEdges, but ended up not needed it.

(Dale Fugier) #5

Can you post your geometry?