Is this possible in rhino

Is this kind of subdivision modeling possible in rhino. If yes tell how basic level user so explain in detail so that i give it a try

Is this kind of subdivision modeling possible in rhino.

Yes, do some googling or searching on the forum into things like modeling bike helmets (similar topologies). I would probably use sub-D’s (or T-Splines if in R5) for that.

https://gilescody1.typepad.com/blog/2012/07/download-modeling-helmet-in-rhino.html

2 Likes

hmmm… this question has technical and philosophical aspects.

thechnically speaking, as of now, in the currenct Rhino V6 you do not have subDs.

but they are in the v7 WIP version. you could give these a try.

also to be more complete on this topic there used to be a plugin called T-splines for Rhino that was very well suited for this purpose, but adsk bought it and stopped porting it to Rhino V6 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: but it still exists for v5, but I am not sure if you can still buy it.

then there is Clayoo for Rhino, another plugin that has subD functionality. I have never used that myself, so I can not comment on it’s quality

now more about (architectural) design philosophy:

I think such, let’s call them as “Zhaha style designs”, can very well be modeled with nurbs… personally I think their feel is better represented using curve and surface tools like blends, matches and flows.
of course you won’t be working with single surfaces. but if you setup your design in an intelligent way in grasshopper, or even with Rhino history you can generate a lot on the fly around some generating longitudinal curves and add the holes once you are happy with the general configuration of the shape

1 Like

Oh… I’m using rhino 6 so no TSplines available :expressionless: . Anyone kindly give some example of achieving this through nurbs modeling like @dk2079 said. And @bobmcneel team should develop a similar kind of tool to replace TSplines.

And @bobmcneel team should develop a similar kind of tool to replace TSplines.

https://discourse.mcneel.com/c/serengeti/sub-d

Just download Rhino 7 WIP, it’s free with your R6 license, then you can try out the sub-D stuff.
https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/wip

2 Likes

Is this a Sub-D model?

1 Like

I’m almost certain it is a Maya model (polygon modeling).

I don’t see anything indicating it is.

Is these type column is also based on sub-d modeling

No. What does it matter, what are you doing? Mesh-based modeling is best at extremely organic shapes.

1 Like

Interesting fact about that example (the New Port House) - the person at Bureau Bouwtechniek responsible for minimizing the number of unique modules for the upper part of that building did it all in MS Excel.
-wim

6 Likes

Interesting. Is there any source of information to read about it? I mean excell stuff.

Not that I’m aware of. The person held a lecture at the Bricsys conference in Stockholm last month. That’s where I saw that.
-wim

Stockholm? Last month? F…! I’m Stockholm - based… :frowning:, didn’t know it.

@wim thank you. I’m interested in this kind of architecture modeling but the problem i don’t find enough tutorials in the internet. If i found any video with specifying the building name or the architect name. The tutorial they’re doing just taking the picture and inserting it rhino layout and modeling it but i hope that’s not the best way to do this type of modeling and it won’t help in creating our own kind of concept from what we learned. So i need to understand the theory behind these types of modeling and I want to learn it, explore it someone suggest me any pdf,docs,video,links which helps me to learn these kind of modeling. As an architecture student I’m very much interested to learn these kind of modeling.

Shape to Fabrication is a place you want to be, for sure. They have a discount for student.
Lots of fun and free deep-in knowledge shared.

1 Like

When i plan to see some tutorial in YouTube about advance surface modeling i found this one lol :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi - I haven’t looked at any of these but there’s a “Additional Architectural Training Materials” section on the Rhino in Architecture page on the wiki.
-wim

This column is a pretty simple geometry and can be made any way. Just start modeling and you will find what works and what does not. There is no definitive answer.

1 Like

5 minutes later :wink: :smiley: