Is octane for rhino worth trying?

interesting info here!
I agree with the opinion that both Octane and Vray - are great options. We using Octane simply because at the time it was the only option with GPU render for Rhino. Since then VRay came up and it still playing catch up (its almost there). But I’d still use Octane because looking at VRay GPU features here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VNFR/Supported+Features , I still see some PARTIAL support.
But there is a place for VRay in our workflow. I can think of one example - VRay Fur -easy to use. In Octane - I’m not sure how to do fur…
I also find Octane faster (but this might be biased to a fact that we use it longer, then VRay…)
VRay still not available for Rhino WIP too.

you can use VRay in WIP version, just manually install the .rhp

1 Like

I would also consider THEA render engine, it does have good real-time rendering capability, even with complex models. It may not have all the bells & whistles that VRAY has, but is fast due to it’s combined CPU+GPU render capability (Presto). I’ve been using Maxwell until recently, but the real time render capability is MUCH faster than Maxwell FIRE, along with much faster production rendering means I’ll be using THEA from now on.

1 Like

Maybe a silly idea, but have you ever thought about Blender 3D?
It’s not a ad inn, but another piece of software, but great for realtime rendering since release 2.8 with eevee ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mxJzQ9Jquk ).
The good news is: it’s free! GNU license.
The bad news is: it takes quiet a while to learn. I mean it’s like you enter the cockpit of a Boeing while your used to fly a spitfire. Switches, meters and lights every where you look.
Than again, there is a very big community and loads of tutorials and books, in which you also have to find your way around * grumble *

FWIW the Cycles engine of Blender 3D is in Rhino 6 (and Rhino WIP). But there are more feature rich engines out there, like many of the mentioned here already :slight_smile:

Wow, cycles iin rhino? That’s nice!

In v6 it is called the Raytraced mode for viewports. In current Rhino WIP (to-be-v7) it is the Rhino Render.

Found it, but is there in anyway the possibility of the use of nodes?

1 Like

Its the start of a new decade: Do you mind if I ask again how close WIP cycles is to current Blender version? Is the gap closed yet?

A post was split to a new topic: Raytraced / Cycles crash on Mac

In case you missed the trailer for TwinMotion 2020. (It now supports megascans and raytracing in realtime)

1 Like