Octane for Rhino

Just a quick note in praise of Octane for Rhino. I spent a couple of difficult learning hours with it and quick responses from their support this past weekend and am getting incredibly fast and brilliant results with some simple mock up models. I’m using a GeForce GTX 760 video card that is performing well (though more horsepower might be justified for larger models). One must have a CUDA video card.
Octane for Rhino is a bargain at its introductory pricing. No, I don’t have any shares in OTOY.
cheers,
eric

Looks tasty.
Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve been using it too and find it is very nicely integrated into Rhino.

Hi Eric!
Great to hear this.
Can you post any WIP pictures you made.
Im kinda still considering wich rendering package to choose.

What have you been using to learn? any good tutorials to recommend?

Actually I have been sort of bungling along … Octane for Rhino is moving along so fast in development that the manual is way behind. I just try things, get frustrated and keep on trying. I find the online data base rather difficult. Quite slow in response time and erratic when trying to assign materials to layers in Rhino. I am hoping that soon we will be able to download the present materials file complete … it will take a long time to download this I am afraid but will make assigning materials much much faster, I think. But once materials are assigned the speed of actually rendering is simply awesome.
cheers
eric

On your system, how fast is Octane compared to Neon?
I understand that they are not really comparable, but still.

Hi Holo …

I just ran a little file where I have materials assigned to a bunch of blocks. I turned on the Octane window (I have 2 fairly large monitors) and Neon in perspective at the same so each window is identical except that Neon only shows the layer basic colors and Octane if fully textured with complex materials. Both widows clear to sharp edges very rapidly and at about the same speed as nearly as my eye can tell. Octane keeps rapidly clarifying the textures and shadows very fast but there is nothing to see in the Neon window as all the pieces are simple solid colors.

Though they work at very similar speeds they truly are different animals. Octane will use Rhino render materials and visa versa so one can use the simple ‘render’ view in the model window for working on the model and see materials that are similar to the Octane window but not nearly as well defined.

I hope that’s relatively clear.

cheers
eric

1 Like

I’ve been using Octane from the very start. The new Octane for Rhino is a godsend for my workflow. I’ve tried lots of rendering demos and own Flamingo, Brazil, and Keyshot. Nothing comes close. The latest Octane for Rhino lets one convert Rhino mats into Octane mats and then revert to Rhino materials which comes in handy at times. Be careful though, your clients get spoiled quickly!

Hello, any of the more experienced octane users could throw an eye into this:

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/octane-speed-interior-animation-help/27884?u=daniel_mikolajcak

Thank you a lot in advance
daniel