Is Grasshopper/Rhino 6 really this slow on Macs?

The info of my link is from David, I think he would know best about his software so either way the point is just to make sure cores are fast per single core for gh. I have no issues with rendering as I use Keyshot, I sit it in the background and my computer does not throttle (I’m often using Rhino / gh, zbrush, Maya, Keyshot at the same time), so I can’t speak to cycles as I’ve not used it. There are some multi threaded things but that is component based not software based (like Houdini which is A fully multi-threaded software). Either way, it’s off the topic of what the Mac side is slow in this case which we still haven’t found the culprit.

FYI:

RH-56920 Grasshopper: Opening file takes a long time

should now be fixed in the latest Rhino 6 for Mac Service Releases.

I use the exact same config, and it opens up with ease. Less than a second actually. So, something else seems to be the problem.

This is what I usually try:

1. Clear Cache, temp files.
  2. Uninstall Rhino completely. Uninstall all Plugins.
  3. Reboot Mac
  4. Install Rhino and try opening it again (Before installing any additional plugins)

Good Luck!

I’m experiencing the same problems. Running Windows 10 in a partition on my Mac and opening Rhino was always almost instantaneous. Now when I’m only using Rhino 6 for Mac its slow to open and when Grasshopper is open its perpetual beach ball time.

I’m running macOS 10.15.6 on an iMac Pro with 64GB of 2666 MHz of DDR, a Radeon pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM and I have 2 TB of Flash Storage for my hard drive. It should be a lot quicker…

I am experiencing zero problems running ARCHICAD 24. That’s very fast.

Hopefully someone in software development at McNeal will be taking note of these problems. Certainly the UI in Rhino 6 for mac is a lot better than in previous version and takes full advantage of the Mac’s Retina display.

Rhino and Grasshopper (Rhino 6) ground to a halt on my iMac Pro. However, I had installed the Rhino-Grasshopper-Archicad connection in Archicad 24, which places a comprehensive add-on to Grasshopper comprising a large number of elements, composites, complex profiles etc that are used in Archicad.

I uninstalled this add on in Archicad, restarted Rhino and it - and Grasshopper now operate almost instantaneously on my iMac Pro. I’ve contacted Graphisoft about this.

BTW I tried configuring an all-Windows PC to get it to match to the iMac Specs including an ultra-high definition monitor to match the Apple’s retina Display. The iMac Pro was a less expensive way to go

2 Likes