IronPython Won't Load in Rhino Inside Revit 2019.2

I just updated RiR and Rhino WIP. Previously I have not had any issue using Python inside Rhino or RiR.

Now, I am not able to load any python scripts in Rhino or Grasshopper for RiR 2019.2.
But, I am able to access python within RiR 2020 and RhinoWIP.

I have installed the latest version of IronPython 2.7.10. Do I need to roll back to 2.7.9?

The error below:

1. Before Solution exception:Failed to load language 'IronPython 2.7.9': Could not load type 'System.TypeExtensions' from assembly 'Microsoft.Scripting, Version=1.2.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1'.

Yes please uninstall any standalone installations of IronPython. Rhino.Inside.Revit ships with IronPython 2.7.9. Let us know if this fixes the conflict issues

Unfortunately the issue remains.

I uninstalled all versions of IronPython
I re-installed Rhino Inside Revit
I’ve rebooted my machine.

I am still getting the same error.

When clicking on “Python” in the Rhino tab, I get this error:

If I attempt to activate the IronPython plugin I get the same error as the GH script.

It still works with Revit 2020.

Okay. Let’s try something else. Would you mind looking at How to Search for Conflicting Plugins on your Revit 2019 and see if we can figure out any conflicts with other addons that might be loading a different python version?

It was the Kiwi Family Browser 2019 r2.
I upgraded to r3 and continued to have problems.
I have Family Browser installed in Revit 2020 and Rhino Python works no problem.

This essentially solved my problem since I do not rely on Family Browser in 2019.

OK, I have more data here.
My Rhino WIP standalone is also giving me this error, only IF I do not run “EditPythonScript” before launching Grasshopper.
Success -> Open WIP, run “EditPythonScript”, launch Grasshopper
Failure -> Open WIP, launch Grasshopper

Okay would you mind confirming for me that IronPython dlls are not installed in GAC?

• Go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly
  • You should see 3 sub folders (GAC_32, GAC_64, and GAC_MSIL)
  • Check the _64 and _MSIL contents and make sure there is nothing listed as IronPython

There area couple references to python (PythonTools), but not ironpython.

I’m a bit baffled. Can’t replicate this issue on my side. I’m asking the Rhino dev team to see what I can find. Will keep you posted.

1 Like