Iphone 12/13 lidar

I work with scan data (point clouds / meshes) in Rhino every day.
Rhino is a fantastic tool for modelling from scan data, but you need a decent scanner first.
The data I work from is from pro level scanners ,Faro / Leica / Riegl / Creaform etc.
The Lidar in the I-Phone is just a toy, if you want to work with scan data buy a decent scanner !
it is the same with computers, if you want to work with scan data, throw away your Mac and buy a PC !
Horses for courses…

2 Likes

Has anyone here tried the PolyCam photomode?

Seems to result in a higher resolution than the Lidar capture and works with most any IPhone.

Plenty of export options

What file formats does Polycam export data to?

Right now we support exporting mesh data in .obj, .glb, .fbx, .dae, .stl and .usdz and support exporting point cloud data in .dxf, .ply, .laz, .xyz and .pts. You can also export the raw images used to generate a capture. If you need another format not listed here contact us.

1 Like

I don’t think ios will ever be fully optimized for lidar. Maybe the application will be launched, but I hardly believe that it will work well and quickly. However, if you want, you can wait and test it yourself.
I’ve been testing an iPhone tracker for the last few days — familyorbit.com. I found it on the Internet and decided to try it. It’s not a safe time now. We need to know where the children are, just in case.
I want to believe that iOS will become a platform for many programs and information opportunities over time. But so far, it is somewhat limited.