Introducing Room Scan

Latest iRhino3D WIP available from TestFlight includes Room Scan feature.
This feature allows you to quickly create a 3D model from an interior space using the LiDAR sensor of your iOS device. The resulting 3D model contains walls, openings, cabinetry, appliances and furniture bounding boxes.

You can then save the geometry into a Rhino 3dm file.

10 Likes

will this feature also support non LIDAR devices (iphones)?

Unfortunately LiDAR is required for this feature.
Some iPhone models have LiDAR sensor

What kind of accuracy can be expected?

Accuracy depends on a lot of factors including lighting conditions, texture of surfaces, size of the room etc.
Probably similar to the accuracy you’d expect from the iOS measure tools. In my experience it’s been within 1-4 inches of the actual dimension.
I wouldn’t recommend using it for construction without verifying dimensions first.

1 Like

Something to note is that we are using a feature provided by iOS 16 and are doing very little of the “real” work during the scan. iRhino just starts the room scanning feature and then collects the geometry as a result when it is complete.

The feature is called Room Plan and I would suspect that the accuracy of the scan will improve over time as Apple continues to work on this with updates to iOS

4 Likes

In my testing here, Roomscan works great for capturing rough data. I am actually using it myself right now for a house reno in my spare time and it’s pretty cool with a few caveats.

100% do backup measurements with a good quality laser for anything even remotely dimensionally critical.

That said, the models come in as a well ordered mesh, Rhino has had a feature for years called meshtonurbs which usually results in a bit of an unwieldly monster model with thousands of surfaces.

In the case of room scan, it works amazingly well and converts the mesh to nice simple surfaces that can be joined, booleaned or adjusted with sub object section/ gumball edit.

The cool thing is once you convert to nurbs, the MergeAllCoplanarFaces command will simplify your model even further making it quite useable and fairly easy to edit.

give it a go!

7 Likes

The latest version of iRhino released to the App Store now contains the Room Scan feature. This also includes detection/classification of different household items and placing them in different layers.

3 Likes

Impressing technology. Would it be possible to convert these rooms into thermal zones for energy simulations aotomaticly, ie closed volumes consisting out of planar surfaces where apparatures like door and windows are separate planar rectangles?

1 Like

If you mean it’s possible to do so in iRhino with a tap of a button then the answer is no.
But the geometry in the “Room” is organized into layers and has some metadata. It’s not that hard to imagine a GH definition that parses this information and generates the zones for you to do your analysis.

Once you have the GH definition, you can experiment with running it on a remote Rhino Compute server from iRhino using the scanned “Room” as input. See Hops in iRhino3D for example

1 Like

Interesting stuff! Looking forward to the moment my iPhone 7 breaks and I can buy a new phone…

1 Like

Mine broke last week…Or at least the camera did. I’m sporting a new iPhone 14 pro now. So I’m digging back into iRhino.

2 Likes

Has anyone used room scan for an outdoor project…? I have an area where I have build a retaining wall and now need to figure how much fill dirt I will need. I’ll give it a try tonight and post if it works.

Brian

In general it shouldn’t work for anything than’s not an interior space. But a retaining wall is simple enough that you may be able to trick it to think it’s an interior.

I’m curious, please report back.

I ended up use a free app…Worked great.

Brian

Well in fact it didn’t work so great…I ended up needing twice the dirt to infill the hole than the app calculated. It might just be my skill level at using lidar…? I ended up moving 10 cubic yards my hand.

I’m not sure if a link to the scan via the apps website is Ok or not…Feel free to delete it. Link is only good for 14 days. It look slike a link to just the website but in fact it’s the scan I did of the area with my iPhone.

Brian