Industrial design (WIP)

Work in progress. New industrial design project coming soon! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Very well done!
Wouldn’t it be enough to use Keyshot for the jobs you do?
I think there is no need to use Bella render or Thea render… or am I wrong?

I see Keyshot as a program for engineers who want quick renders of proposed parts. It’s fast, but I don’t like its quality and setting options. I would only use it for fast renders on a hardware weak computer. On the other hand, with today’s hardware performance, I see no reason to render with this program. The outputs, if they are to be nice, require a lot of post-production in photoshop. But it is true that many industrial designers use this program, especially at universities. It’s easy to use and in industrial design you need to produce a lot of renders of different versions of the design. But the final visualizations are almost always rendered in something else. For example, it is basically unusable for architecture and interiors.

Thea, for example, is one of the best programs in terms of the quality of visualizations in architecture and interior design. It is very popular among Sketchup users.

Bella is definitely slower than keyshot (not by much), but it’s much higher in quality. In addition, Thea a bella is integrated directly into Rhino and there is no need to export and render the model in another application.

But yes, a keyshot is more than enough for simple renders of product design. In other areas, however, it is ineffective, it is very specific.

The images in this post are just quick renders in Bella with no complicated setup. I hope the final visualizations of the finished product will be much better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thea a bella is integrated directly into Rhino and there is no need to export and render the model in another application.

Hello

How much bella is slower than Keyshot ( how many minutes)?

How Thea or Bella can be integrated with Rhino?

How much bella is slower than Keyshot ( how many minutes)?

There is no standard. Moreover, Keyshot has a GPU mode which will bring in whatever limitations Keyshot has defined. Generally, this will be always faster than a CPU renderer, but without as much universality (Keyshot provides these limits).

You also must take care what you are rendering, as both Keyshot and Bella are spectral renderers, but both will use differing approaches for different levels of accuracy and physicality.

In reality, you can only chose by yourself; and both have trial versions or modes. If you want to use Keyshot GPU, you will have no choice but to use an nvidia GPU (same for Vray GPU). Bella is currently CPU only, so it will help to have a good multi-core CPU.

How Thea or Bella can be integrated with Rhino?
No idea about Thea, but Bella has I think 95%+ of its GUI features within Rhino. Probably more.

2 Likes

Exactly. There is no way to compare the rendering speed between two programs because each has a different output quality.

Keyshot is different similar to v-ray, I wouldn’t compare keyshot with Bella render. Bella is more photorealistic in my opinion.

Every render engine developer claims how physically accurate their product is. In reality, there are very few truly unbiased engines. On the other hand, they are not very popular even today because they are extremely slow. Biased rendering, if cleverly designed, produces results many times faster. In addition, the resulting render is in many cases 90% the same as the unbiased rendering. Maxwell was never as popular as, for example, Keyshot or V-ray because it was always much slower. Very few users require perfect renders.

The most used render engines are always biased (Redshift, Octan, V-ray, Renderman, Keyshot) because they are simply fast. And if you know how to control them well, you get beautiful renders, it usually costs more knowledge and settings, but it can be done.

4 Likes

On keyshot and Belle (Saturn mode + denoiser) it is good that the interactive preview render corresponds to the production rendering. How you set up materials and lighting while working will correspond to the final calculation. This is very important. If you use Keyshot or Thea (Presto mode) or Bella (Saturn solver) and you have an active denoiser, you will see the resulting image within a few seconds.

3 Likes

Similarly also with Vray: you set the “progressive” calculation and see the result immediately, albeit with a lot of noise (I almost never use the bucket calculation).

I remember a time when v-ray didn’t have progressive rendering yet. It was terrible to render the scene in small squares! Progressive rendering, light mix and denoiser. Basic functions without which I cannot imagine any renderer today.

1 Like

you should definitely add bella tags to your topic, i had to read through the entire discussion about render engines to finally get to the post in which you explain what you actually used :smiley: the renders look fantastic…@jdhill might want to check it out :wink:

what i am also missing is a description of what the heck that actually is :smile: could be a wasp juicer

1 Like

We do quite a lot of interiors in KS - it’s not THAT bad, I think. These are all non-processed Keyshot renders of interiors/arch that we either build or bought (mostly a bit of both, actually). All of them are previews (200-400 samples), so there is some noise here and there.

-Jakob

1 Like

Apart from the noise, Keyshot has never convinced me in interior (and exterior) renderings. His Global Illumination always seems a little lacking to me. A not very vibrant light… but I could be wrong.
Keyshot is mainly used to represent industrial products, automotive, etc.
I tried it for an interior… I don’t know, it doesn’t convince me: Vray is another planet (with the right settings; otherwise it causes disasters too).

In my render (Vray) there is a lot of noise: with brute force you never finish, but at least it is more precise and reliable.

This is a teaser for the final design. I will share more information when the product is ready. :slight_smile:

These are just quick renders with an HDRI map for now. No complicated setup yet and yes Bella.

This is a drink dispenser. It includes a cooling part and a leaching strainer. The hand grips can also be used as a stand.

2 Likes

I last tried Keyshot in interior design five years ago. Maybe the newer versions of Keyshot are better at interior architecture. But I still think it is suitable mainly for engineers and industrial designers. Your renders don’t look bad. :slight_smile:

V-ray is certainly more versatile than Keyshot. In interiors, v-ray is definitely better. On the other hand, a lot of V-ray users are switching to Corona. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, Corona render is a partial engine, like Vray, or not? It’s just CPU…

P.S.:
(in my render I enabled the volumetric effects, I like them a lot; clean, catalog renders interest me little. Let’s say that I follow a more artistic approach than the photorealistic one of a glossy magazine).

Thank you fore the useful explanations :slight_smile:

How can I attach bella to Rhino as an interior tool?

I don’t know what method I use.

My computer is not new and I have to use a render engine that can be compatible with its weak components and does render in a shorter time.

At present, I use Keyshot occasionally but I don’t know how to change the position of lights, as it is accessible in Rhino easily.

In another discussion thread I wanted to compare v-ray and Bella render in a simple scene.

V-ray: 1920x1080 pixels, 15 minutes rendering (32 threads), brute force (primary and secondary), v-ray denoiser.

Bella: 1920x1080 pixels, 15 minutes rendering (32 threads), Saturn solver + denoiser.

Setting up the scene was a bit more difficult with V-ray (mainly materials). I was unable to set the same semi-transparent plastic materials as in Bella. Otherwise the scene should be similarly set up including tone mapping, DOF and vignetting.

V-ray has a sharper render, I think, but worse light distribution (in the object on the right, the light does not get through the transparent plastic).

3 Likes

Corona is CPU only, but the results are more photorealistic than v-ray. Industrial design catalog renderings are a bit boring, but the product must be clearly legible. Therefore, many designers render the product on a white background and with simple lighting.

1 Like

There aren’t huge differences.
The Vray clear plastic definitely wasn’t set up well. It seems strange to me that it is so dark and not very reflective.
Bella’s gray plastic reflects little more, but it still depends on the material settings.
The yellow tap on the right (Vray) is more contrasted, the shadow stands out more.
Overall the results are similar. For a biased renderer, Vray performs very well (just fix the transparent plastic).
Rendering times are the same…

1 Like