Industrial design (WIP)

Yes, with brutal force and HDRI map, the difference between v-ray and bella is not big. The plastic should definitely adjust better. This is material from the chaos cosmos library and as such doesn’t work surprisingly well. Even if I change the plastic material to glass, the light rays still don’t get inside the container as they should.

V-ray at this setting should render for more than 15 minutes. The denoiser did not remove all the noise. Bella was surprisingly faster even though I let her render longer than necessary. Also, bella has an even better engine called Atlas, and even though it’s slow, it’s even more photorealistic in my opinion. Its light distribution is very rich. But for this simple scene, its use would be unnecessary. Only the scene would be brighter and the semi-transparent material would look different. I’ll try to render it and paste it here for comparison.

V-ray is doing well though!

From my experience, I always adjust the materials from the cosmos library in Vray, especially if they are transparent or even translucent materials. You can get the same result as with Bella (you would just have to adjust the material settings).

PS
If you look in my other post (artifacts in Vray render), in the second image, the jam jar, both the glass and the jam, the settings have been maniacally modified, I added translucency and acted on the depth of the ray in the transparent material; if I had not changed the parameters I would have had a glass that was not very transparent and a jam that was too dense and would not have let the light through).

I also tried to modify the material to look like in the Bella renderer. Unfortunately, he did not respond very well to the changes.

In the end, even if I deleted the transparent part, the light did not spread inside the container and it was still dark as in the render (I used the maximum v-ray setting).

I’m adding a picture of Bella the Atlas solver. In this simple scene, its benefits will hardly be seen. But it definitely has much better light distribution than v-ray at max settings and takes a similar amount of time to render.

In this low-res compressed image, the difference isn’t much. Of course, the differences are more visible on a high-quality monitor with 4k resolution.

1 Like

@Martin_Šefl Vray materials by default only have 5 bounces. I’m quite sure if you enable the advanced settings in the material and change refraction and refraction bounces to something like 10-20 (and enable backside reflections) you will get a better result.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, even though I set everything up according to your advice, the result was basically exactly the same. I can share the file if anyone would like. :smiley:

I’d be happy to have a look at it

1 Like

@Martin_Šefl this is your scene slightly modified, I’ll send it back to you by pm

-changed lighting to brute force/lightcache (was set to bf/bf)
-adjusted the tone mapping
-changed the translucent orange material
-changed the outer transparent plastic
-added sharpening

Even though the result can still be improved, the light distribution model in bella is different, and an exact match is not possible. I believe bella supports light being scattered as a result of refracted light through a material, which v-ray doesn’t support AFAIK. Also the HDRI in your bella rendering looks to be slightly differently positioned vertically?

2 Likes

The result is definitely much better. You managed to set the transparent material very well! Thank you for your help. I will try to render the final design with these materials also in v-ray for interest.

We can conclude by saying that there are very few differences between the two rendering engines, the result is almost identical (the transparent plastic in Vray could be further improved).
Both engines are based on the physics of light, they are both correct. Biased or unbiased, it makes very little difference. Certainly the quality of light in Bella is little better.
The real test would be an interior scene with lots of objects. It would be interesting to see the differences.

It’s definitely having the right tool for the right job. I have tried both, and stuck with bella; as it has so many advantages, I don’t pay a mortgage each month just for having it, and the support is excellent.

But there are some days when I do envy the sheer immense speed of Vray GPU implementations, especially Vantage. With big “scifi” scenes, I do get a tiny bit impatient that I don’t have a 128 core Bergamo or 52 core Xeon Platinum on my desk. But it does mean I don’t worry about arbitrary features that can drop out of GPU modes.

2 Likes

For example, if a person is a CGI artist and understands all the settings of rendering engines, v-ray will give him great options.

I’m an industrial designer, and after hundreds of hours of modeling a product, I don’t want to spend another few hours setting up the scene for rendering. That’s why I like unbiased rendering engines. A few clicks and I can render at the highest possible quality. In addition, modern unbiased engines (Bella Saturn) are not only visually high-quality, but also very fast in product design scenes.

I like V-ray, it’s a professional engine with a long history and that’s both positive and negative. With powerful hardware, rendering engines should be simplified so that the user does not have to set up everything in a complicated way. V-ray has gotten a lot simpler over the years, but it’s still not simple. A lot of users switch to Corona because it’s easier to set up the scene and visually a bit better.

I’ve tried Maxwell, Keyshot, V-ray, Cycles, Arion, Indigo, Thea and Bella. And in the end I chose Bella. It’s very modern (perhaps 3 years on the market for Rhino?), fast enough on my CPU, and visually definitely one of the best.

Even if I set up the scene as similar as possible on different engines, in high resolution I can see the differences between the engines and Bella (or Maxwell) looks the most natural (in my subjective comparison). It’s like rating the photo quality of expensive smartphones. They all take great photos, but everyone likes something different.

Finally, I’m glad that Rhino users have many rendering plugins to choose from, as well as quality rendering in Rhino itself. When I compare it to other CAD programs, let’s be happy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You made me curious about Bella, I hope I can try it (they should have used another name, I really don’t like this “Bella”, it doesn’t suit a rendering engine, but a women’s magazine).

I saw the renderings in the gallery on the official website. I must say that the still life images are very beautiful, natural, the exteriors a little less so, they seem fake (personal taste; I find them not very realistic, unlike the objects).

Does it have volumetric light effects? To recreate, for example, the dust effect and rays of light (God rays).

1 Like

I quite like the name Bella. :smiley:

I think the pictures in the gallery on the official website are quite old. Be sure to check out ThomasAn’s work.

Bella’s benefits are best seen in his visualizations. He can work well with this program.

Try the demo version and join the discord for any questions. Tech support is great!

Bella has a volumetric material, but I don’t know how well it works, I don’t use it.

Hallo Martin.
I wanted to try a simple scene and, more importantly, test for a transparent object with SSS.
I have to say that Vray doesn’t make you miss Bella at all.
It is a simple container with orange juice, similar to the one in the Bella render gallery (change the shape and HDRI map).
What does it look like to you?

I used correct values transparency, translucency (SSS2), reflections and refractions set almost to maximum:

I had finished this, but I don’t know what happened once I saved the file: as if a layer was missing (little squares appear where there are reflections when I open the image in Photoshop). Help! I think I have activated all the channels of the materials used… I don’t know:

I don’t understand your question. So are these renders Bella or V-ray? Everything looks fine to me in the pictures.

Sorry, you are right.
These are renders made with Vray.
It was a Photoshop problem, sorry.

1 Like

i assume at this point you did not even try it? anyway this neverending vray off topic is getting a bit in the way here can we please drop it finally?

I saw Bella’s gallery and Vray’s gallery: there is no comparison!
When I have time I will try it.
For your joy I’m closing the discussion here… you seem quite annoyed. Nobody forces you to read or watch!
Thank you.

so you asses the quality of renders by comparing images from others, i see a few problems there. no nobody forces me to read along, but i am interested in this design and read along to see if there is any development, at some point you chimed in and made this a vray vs the rest of the world off topic story out of it. ok there is a bit of an interest for some but it does not seem to stop, hence calling it off topic. if you want to elaborate this battle of boredom you are free to open a new topic. but that would just not be you as far as i know you :wink:

Sorry, you’re right.
I’m not made for battles, but for comparisons. :wink: :+1:

1 Like