If I have a mesh, how do I find out to which block instance it belongs? Is it possible?

Hi !

So, I am in the process of making an exporter plugin for Rhino to some other format using the C++ API, and have now been facing the issue of correctly exporting the Block instance objects.

Currently I am first maintaining an array of meshes, by using the RhinoMeshObjects() function, that saves the meshes into an array called allMeshes.

So, my main concern here is how would I find out if a mesh in the allMeshes belongs to a block instance object, so I can manipulate the mesh’s vertices with the transform of the block object.

How can I achieve that?

If you are working on an exporter for v6 and are interested primarily in mesh geometry from objects you should look into using the RhRdk::Realtime::ChangeQueue to get out mesh data and with that useful identifiers for mapping between objects and mesh instances - this will take into account block instances.

When you get a mesh ID that is used in multiple instances you’ll be able to see that.

https://developer.rhino3d.com/api/cpp/class_rh_rdk_1_1_realtime_1_1_change_queue.html

Although the ChangeQueue was initially conceived for integration with the display system it works perfectly for exporter scenarios as well.

You essentially will derive from RhRdk::Realtime::ChangeQueue, instantiate one with the doc you want to export, call CreateWorld and Flush. With the correct Apply* functions implemented you’ll get all geometry preprocessed, including all blocks, nested and what not, materials etc.

If this sounds like something you’d be able to use I can type more text to clarify how to do that

1 Like

Hey @nathanletwory, RhRdk::Realtime::ChangeQueue does sound like a viable solution to my problems . But, my code is almost complete and I do not think that I could afford the time to change the RhinoMeshObjects() way I am using right now.
Nevertheless, I would like to know more about RhRdk::Realtime::ChangeQueue to work on it in the future. Thanks!

@alexian007 I’m not pretending I know how you have set up your code, but I’m pretty sure a move to the ChangeQueue won’t be that big a change. Anyway, let me type on a simple sample code to show you how it can be used.

1 Like

Oh, okay then. So will implementing the ChangeQueue give me an easy way to :

a) Access an individual mesh i.e a CRhinoMeshObject or something similar, to get the mesh data, attributes.
b) Find out if the mesh is a part of the instance or not.
c) Easily map the mesh and the object/ block instance it belongs to?

I will be able to do all these, right? If so, I will gladly make the change to ChangeQueue.

So, the basic overview of my project is that I use RhinoMeshObjects() to get an array of CRhinoMeshObject meshes.

Then, I use the objectIterator to get all the objects on the document and store it in another array.

And, then I iterate the object array to search the mesh array according the id and then assign the mesh to the object.

(I do so because I am making another object definition for the software I am exporting to, so I am transferring the data of a Rhino object to another data container that contains all its data and the references to the mesh too from the mesh array I obtained earlier.)

So, what I am doing to associate the mesh to the object is by:

if (allMeshes[i].m_parent_object->Attributes().m_uuid == currentObjID)

Where,
allMeshes = the meshes array obtained from RhinoMeshObjects()
currentObjID = the ID of the current object I got by iterating the object array obtained from objectIterator.

So, if implementing a ChangeQueue will give me better organisation and won’t be much time consuming, I would really love to know that, Nathan.

Thank you, and I am awaiting for the sample code! :slight_smile:

So, a few moments of typing and a basis for creating an exporter on top of the all-new RhRdk::Realtime::ChangeQueue is now ready at

I’ve tried to document the Apply* functions heavily with how the process works. If you still have questions then obviously feel free to ask them here! I can improve the sample until there is no more doubt about its mechanisms :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yaay! Give me some time to look through it, and I’ll shoot all my questions here.
P.S: You ROCK, Nathan ! :smiley:

If you want to see the ChangeQueue in action here is the Raytraced code using it in C# (C# is a wrapper around the C++ code, more or less functioning the same way):

1 Like

Btw, I attached a pre-compiled RHP of the sample here:

1 Like

Yeah, I got it thanks! I am still in the process of understanding the changequeue, and seeing it in action is awesome !

Ask when there is anything that is unclear.